Has anyone sold a gite complex in Dordogne in the last year?

giteowner

Hi - I know it's not an easy time to be selling a gite complex (house and 3 gites in Dordogne), but the time is right for us to sell and base ourselves in UK. We've placed it with one local agent so far but we need to decide on wider marketing strategy. We have never struggled to get gite customers and have 11 years good bookings to show, but I still know that finding a buyer could be slow.

Its hard to believe that 11 or 12 years ago when we bought, there were no marketing web sites - we relied on magazines and Saturday Telegraph to look for ad's and then faxed estate agents.

If anyone can let me know what sales web sites they have recently used successfully, then I would be really grateful and if anyone can recommend good agent in Sarlat /Le Bugue area it would be a big help. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
We have recently bought a gite complex in the Dordogne, 4 gites & 2 Chambre D'hote bedrooms.

We began our search for a property less than a year ago and mainly used sites such as http://www.green-acres.com/ and http://www.classic-french-homes.com/.

Once we had identified the area of France we wanted to be we found a local immobilier who began to search for properties for us. Perhaps you should make sure that you are known to as many local immobilier's as possible?

Hope this helps.

Everyone is allowed a link under their signature and as it happens I was one of the team that fought hard to even get that allowed. As I'm an officer of the Club that's the link I chose.

Just FYI  the Quimper Club is a not for profit organisation, its not my business.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Everyone is allowed a link under their signature and as it happens I was one of the team that fought hard to even get that allowed. As I'm an officer of the Club that's the link I chose.

Just FYI  the Quimper Club is a not for profit organisation, its not my business.

[/quote]

As you say, so can you please explain to me the difference between a link and advertising? I'm not complaining just curious, as I see quite a lot of links on this forum to B&B's and gites. By the way, the information is noted.[Www]

Forum members are allowed a link under their signature (no supporting text) and that can be to their own business, members can also link or post to genuine third party recommendations, what they cannot do is post either text or a link  promoting a business in which is theirs or in which  they or a close associate have an interest in the main body of the message.

The links under the sig is the only exception to the advertising rule (and some of us stil bear the scars from that skirmish, Will, Q and Hoddy included)

Thank you RH for a  concise explanation to my question, so in fact if the original poster put his link on this forum as suggested by wilko

("Amazed Op didn't leave his site address. Who knows who looks at this forum.........maybe a prospective purchaser")

that would be perfectly allowable under Forum rules?

So giteowner it looks pretty clear to me. [I]

What giteowner should do is ammend his sig to include his link - easy, it just mustn't be in the body of the post.

For the record we also routinely delete peoples email addresses from posts unless there are exceptional circumstances, as it just allows so much spam and weird emails.....

Just to add to RH's excellent explanation, one of the reasons why we were keen to allow people to use a link in their signatures to their own business (among other permitted links) is to prove that they know what they are talking about. Unfortunately many forums contain a lot of dubious 'fact' and if, for example, somebody asks a question about plumbing and gets a lot of varying replies, if one comes from somebody who is obviously a professional plumber in France it helps in deciding who to believe.

Obviously this concession can be abused (it has been in certain cases), but the forum rules were written so as to avoid this as much as possible.

thanks to all those who replied especially Montybird who PM'd me and domaineblanchecolombe. I deliberately did not put our web link on the original post as I felt it would have been a blatant ad - and I don't want to get involved in the above dispute about web links! But I am getting the feeling that the gite market is opening up and becoming easier with more potential customers out there......Anyone looking to buy gites can clearly choose to send me a private message so there is no need for a web link in my opinion.

Completely baffles me, giteowner, as to why you didn't and don't post a link to your property which is for sale.................all publicity is good publicity. An occasional visitor might well read your post, they are not a member, so couldn't pm you.

W