good web site to advertise a gite on

emma and chris

Well! This IS the Complete France forum and you ARE a moderator on it.....

I'm too cynical and too used to the way other forums operate and I misread your post as recommending a CF advertising website rather than the similar thread - Sorry!!

[quote user="mayday"]Well! This IS the Complete France forum and you ARE a moderator on it.....

Or am I too cynical and too used to the way other forums operate?[/quote]

The moderators are unpaid volunteer forum users.

I am the only French-born moderator and the other four moderators are, as far as I can gather, British.

So yes, you are too cynical.

[quote user="mayday"]Well! This IS the Complete France forum and you ARE a moderator on it.....

I'm too cynical and too used to the way other forums operate and I misread your post as recommending a CF advertising website rather than the similar thread - Sorry!![/quote]

You have edited your post / explanation / excuse / reason.

Let me be clear about this:

I have no incentive or reason whatsoever to recommend any company, advertising or other, above another.

I have no link with Archant other than being an unpaid volunteer moderator on one of the several fora they publish.

I very strongly resent any hint or accusation that my posts are motivated by some marketing or advertising incentive from Archant.

I hope this is clear enough.

Hi Clair

I DID apologise; When I reread your original post, I realised straight away that I had read it incorrectly and re-posted accordingly. Sorry again!

With regards to AIother forum - the usual response to a question like this, would be for a moderator to give a link to sites that advertise on the website. and delete any posts that recommended one that didn't

[quote user="mayday"]Hi Clair I DID apologise; When I reread your original post, I realised straight away that I had read it incorrectly and re-posted accordingly. Sorry again! With regards to AIother forum - the usual response to a question like this, would be for a moderator to give a link to sites that advertise on the website. and delete any posts that recommended one that didn't[/quote]

The advertising website owned by Archant (who own this forum) is HERE .

On this forum you can't advertise yourself or your business directly*, if you do then the post is removed. Making a genuine third party recommendation (like some have already done) is allowed providing you don't get your wife or mate to do it for you. What the moderators and some members do is give a link to another thread if the subject has already been discussed, it saves duplication (which is what Clair did).

* If you are a B&B/CDH or Gite owner you can include your website address in your signature (like myself) and you can find out more about doing this HERE .

Hope that clears up any misunderstandings you might have.

Yes - we have used Welcome Cottages for past 7 years, very good for us, good bookings last year too and bookings coming in for next year. They are a big company (Cottages4You and others in group) so advertise heavily and handle all the booking/deposits insurance problems etc if you are too busy to do all that yourselves. They were the only company willing to take us on at the time as our Gite is in a town and we certainly can't complain about them.

www.welcomcottages.com - 0845 268 0816 Simon Law

email me if you would like more detailed info

Good luck

I rented via Welcome for several years (they are well represented round the Sarthe, which was where we were aiming for!) and was most impressed with their service.  Their main advantage, to us, was the fact that you could see which dates the properties were available and book immediately on line.  Hassle free for clients.[:)]

I would add a vote for ownersdirect.com.  I have been delighted by the number of enquiries (with a couple of bookings) that we have had from them since joining in August (after dropping Chez Nous - useless to us!).  For a normally quiet time of year, I am very impressed.

On the downside, I was transferred to holiday-rentals after the sad demise of holidaylets.net.  I have been with them since September and have not had a single enquiry.

Judy

• 4 weeks later...
Owners Direct for UK bookings and for French   a-gites.     A-gites is incredibly cheap (as opposed to Homelidays) and the benefit is that if your gites are open during off season school holidays (ie October half-term for example), you will get a flood of enquiries which may help to fill those more difficult months.

Other than that, as long as you are all registered and legal, make sure your local Mairie is aware of who you are/where you are and invite him/her to have a look.    We have had several thousand euros worth of custom this way, primarily from people wanting to book for a wedding party (generally out of peak season, so another bonus in those months which are harder to fill) and free !!

• 1 month later...