Turn off

Celine

[quote user="betoulle"]

As a footnote, a security deposit can be a useful tool for securing a repeat booking...at the end of a guests stay I always say that if you would like to come back & wish to reserve a specific week for the next year, then  rather than refund the money it can be used as a deposit for a provisional booking - 100% refundable if they have a change of plan before Xmas...this year in our larger gite I have a re-run of last years guests....15 weeks worth......& already have a couple of provisional bookings for next year......

[/quote]

Now there is something I didn't think of! Thank you - it's good to read a positive post with ideas that help, that is what the forum should be about.

I've been running gites 8 years and don't take a security deposit either. I used to, but it was too much hassle to bank it and then return it, especially with 3 gites and a long letting season. Most people I get are very responsible, I also live on site and maybe that makes a difference. I get lots of repeat guests despite the fact I don't take a security deposit - I think that is a very weak arguement in favour of one. As an owner it is your choice to make a judgement on how you run your business - and I know I've made the right choice in not taking one. For every house left in a state there are 20 that aren't. I have professional insurance that means I'm covered for damage - I chose to go that route instead of facing the almost impossible task of proving what guest damaged something. And risking a bad review on Trip Advisor into the bargain. Each to their own.

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="LEO"]I agree with... N'importequoi"....

and we don't take a security deposit .

We are glad to get the booking ![/quote]

Hang on Leo, it clearly states on your booking page that you have £100 damages deposit [8-)]

[/quote]

We have never implemented the request for a security deposit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am happy to answer questions from prospective renters as it saves confusion afterwards. Questions I've had range from 'Do you have ceiling fans?' to 'Is there wifi available?'Will my dog be safe in the garden?' to 'How many dogs can i bring?'I must say this one made me laugh. I imagined 101 dalmatians arriving!

[quote user="Rosesvarennes"]I am happy to answer questions from prospective renters as it saves confusion afterwards. Questions I've had range from 'Do you have ceiling fans?' to 'Is there wifi available?'Will my dog be safe in the garden?' to 'How many dogs can i bring?'I must say this one made me laugh. I imagined 101 dalmatians arriving![/quote]

The first two questions sound reasonable to me ..... 'Do you have ceiling fans?' to 'Is there wifi available?

The thing that is a "turn off" to me is uncomfortable furniture when I book a gite.

I checked my poll last night and this years result (seasons booking pretty much over) is 60/40 in favour of wanting WiFi internet so now I need to look at internet services that I can have for 5-6 months of the year or switch on or off as required. Maybe a dongle and deduct internet charges from the deposit?

Any ideas?

Our Orange internet deal allows us to switch off and on without charge.

Only drawback seems to be that they cancel our standing order (rather than simply not take our money) when we switch off and then I have to set it up again when we are ready to turn on again.

[quote user="bubbles"] Only drawback seems to be that they cancel our standing order (rather than simply not take our money) when we switch off and then I have to set it up again when we are ready to turn on again.[/quote]

Thanks bubbles,

Why does that not surprise me [blink]

Can you arrange the connection/disconection online or via english helpline and what is the monthly cost please.

I've recently sorted out broadband for our maison secondaire.  I have the decouverte deal at €19.90 per month with a further €3 each month for the livebox. (Obviously you need your FT phone rental as well)

I have the option of disconnecting the livebox and taking it back to an orange shop at the end of each visit then pay nothing till I reverse the process on my return or simply changing my internet from broadband to dial up (access libre) when the house is empty.  No rental when the house is empty then apart from the €3 to retain the livebox.  I have selected the latter option.

The English speaking helpline advised me to ask for a change to acces libre rather than cancellation - this has to be done by letter to Bordeaux about 10 days before you want the broadband to start/end so you need to be organised.

I intend to phone them a few days after sending each letter to ensure that they have received it.  Seems strange that we can switch the phone service on/off via the internet but not the internet!!  C'est la vie! 

Davy seems to have covered the answers already.

I'm sure I cancelled the internet online last time though. We turn both phone and internet off every autumn and then back on again in the spring.

I get told off every year because I can never remember exactly how it worked the previous year.

In previous years Davy's penultimate sentence was my feeling exactly! - Send a letter by snailmail to make changes to your internet connection - crazy!