Guests taking the Pi*s.

Thebiga

Does anyone have problems with guests that think well I've paid my money we can do what we like.

It clearly states in our terms and conditions that only peole on the booking form can use the grounds,Pool etc and stay in the properties. It also states that if anyone is to come around this is at the so say of the owners. We have had people ask if some friends can come artound for a bbq/meal etc and we have no problem with that as they have asked first. What is it with some people though that they have paid so they can do what they like. We had some turn up yesterday for a wedding this week and within hours a people carrier turns up and out come 4 adults and 2 children! One they just drive in and take up a space reserved for paying guests and off down the gite. Its only the start of the season and we already feel like the holiday police. So anyway my wife goes down 'I'm to scared' and has to tell them that only people on the booking forms can come around etc without the permission of 'us' the owners. They are completly blotto and its yeah oh sorry, Blah,Blah, Hick... We have had people stay in the past overnight and park a vehicle out on the road so we wouldn't see them. Weve had to kick a whole family out of our pool as the people staying thought the friends they had staying nearby should come round as they didn't have a pool!!

And I'm sorry to say its always the brits, no problems with anyone else atall. Its a bit sad really as it does put abit of a black mark on them.

Last week we offered a property on one of these holiday exchange websites so we could have a week back in the uk soon. Anyway they turn up (2 adults,2 children) and within a hour the dads sayings where's the internet! My wife thinks I must have told them we have wi-fi and he could have the code, I hadn't of course he just thought he could have it. Next thing its picking up all the sweet wrappers and lolly sticks from the garden and the rocks that the kids had left on the grass which I found whilst mowing. The next morning I find the two kids smashing down our large bamboo we have in the garden which was putting up alkl this years growth which is soft and they had snapped off the lot, 20 plus canes. Now I getting really cheesed off so go and see the parents and what a waiste of time that was. When we opened up the pool I said to the parents please read the notice on the pool gate as we have some rules and regs, Again what a waiste of time both the young kids in the pool with no adult supervision (which it states is a no go). Then they leave early in the morning with 5 glasses gone and a very urinated bed and mattress. Thank god for bed protectors. They had heaped all the dirty linen on top and parhaps they thought we wouldn't notice. We are not bothered about the odd glass getting broken but they couldn't even leave a note. Guess who wount be coming back again then. Grrrrrrrrr

Goes with the territory I'm afraid.

May I refer you to the excellent thread " I'm thinking of giving up the Gites"

You may find some solace from the like minded.

Thankfully now out after 4 years!

My best one was the guests who rented our "Gite Rurale" because of the flora and fauna, who then called me down from England, to sort out a Pipistrelle bat, all of one inch big ( we have bigger beetles there), before promptly leaving and demanding a refund as it had "terrified" their 12 year old son.

Or the one who demanded his extra sun lounger as they had had 4 the year before, but he could only find 3.

Or the p****d up father who on return sent me an unpleasant e-mail saying it would be nice if there was a shop in the village.

It happen's to be adjoined the bar in which he was frequently worse for wear.

As they used to say in my boozer years back, at closing time. "We've had all yer money, now **** off"

Don't forget there could be mileage in a "It shouldn't happen to a Gite Owner" book.

TheBiga.

Your posting reads like you didnt stop for breath whilst writing it which may well be true but it makes it incredibly hard to read, spelling and punctuaution errors are understandable (I dont know how to spellcheck on a forum) but could you please put a few paragraph breaks in to make it easier to read for thos of us with older eyes?

I have taken the liberty of putting a few in below, probably incorrectly as I had an awfull educatio in English but I hope you agree it is easier to read, you are by no means alone in this matter and perhaps it is easily read by yourself but I can only struggle to read big blocks of text like that after a nights sleep, in the evenings I just have to move on to another posting which is a shame.

[quote user="Thebiga"]

Does anyone have problems with guests that think well I've paid my money we can do what we like. It clearly states in our terms and conditions that only peole on the booking form can use the grounds,Pool etc and stay in the properties. It also states that if anyone is to come around this is at the so say of the owners.

We have had people ask if some friends can come artound for a bbq/meal etc and we have no problem with that as they have asked first. What is it with some people though that they have paid so they can do what they like.

We had some turn up yesterday for a wedding this week and within hours a people carrier turns up and out come 4 adults and 2 children! One they just drive in and take up a space reserved for paying guests and off down the gite. Its only the start of the season and we already feel like the holiday police. So anyway my wife goes down 'I'm to scared' and has to tell them that only people on the booking forms can come around etc without the permission of 'us' the owners. They are completly blotto and its yeah oh sorry, Blah,Blah, Hick...

We have had people stay in the past overnight and park a vehicle out on the road so we wouldn't see them. Weve had to kick a whole family out of our pool as the people staying thought the friends they had staying nearby should come round as they didn't have a pool!! And I'm sorry to say its always the brits, no problems with anyone else atall. Its a bit sad really as it does put abit of a black mark on them.

Last week we offered a property on one of these holiday exchange websites so we could have a week back in the uk soon. Anyway they turn up (2 adults,2 children) and within a hour the dads sayings where's the internet! My wife thinks I must have told them we have wi-fi and he could have the code, I hadn't of course he just thought he could have it.

Next thing its picking up all the sweet wrappers and lolly sticks from the garden and the rocks that the kids had left on the grass which I found whilst mowing. The next morning I find the two kids smashing down our large bamboo we have in the garden which was putting up alkl this years growth which is soft and they had snapped off the lot, 20 plus canes. Now I getting really cheesed off so go and see the parents and what a waiste of time that was.

When we opened up the pool I said to the parents please read the notice on the pool gate as we have some rules and regs, Again what a waiste of time both the young kids in the pool with no adult supervision (which it states is a no go). Then they leave early in the morning with 5 glasses gone and a very urinated bed and mattress. Thank god for bed protectors. They had heaped all the dirty linen on top and parhaps they thought we wouldn't notice. We are not bothered about the odd glass getting broken but they couldn't even leave a note. Guess who wount be coming back again then. Grrrrrrrrr

[/quote]

Chancer, you realise of course that by giving an English grammar lesson to the OP you leave yourself open to criticism of your own spelling and punctuation (you don't need me to point out your errors, I'm sure).

But the point of this post is to say that if you use Internet Explorer, there is a good free spell checker at www.iespell.com that works on this forum. Later versions of Firefox have a built in spell checker - see here. Sorry, I don't know about other browsers but I am sure somebody will be along soon.

Sorry people for my spelling,punctuation etc. I was just sounding off in my own fashion.

Sorry if its not to everyones taste or looks easier on the eye etc.

If I didn't feel bad enough already I should have known better than to post on the forumn really. Ermmm

Thanks for both your replies, I wasnt trying to give a grammar lesson, far from it it was a cry for help as there are so many posts that are just too hard for me to read which I repeat is a shame, if someone takes the time to put their thoughts on the forum surely its better that the maximum of people can enjoy them.

Tha same goes for Thebiga, please dont take my words the wrong way (I really wasnt trying to be critical) and stop posting, I enjoyed what you wrote but it was so hard for me to read.

Will. I am painfully aware of my own grammatical weakness, and as for my numerous spelling mistakes many are typos that are a by product of my limited vision, I cannot look at the screen as I am typing and the text appears smaller in the posting window so that often I dont see my mistakes until the actual  posting comes up which is in a bigger font.

I saw many that I had made after posting but decided to leave them uneditted this time.

[quote user="Chancer"]

...there are so many posts that are just too hard for me to read which I repeat is a shame, if someone takes the time to put their thoughts on the forum surely its better that the maximum of people can enjoy them.

[/quote]

I totally agree with that. This forum is nowhere near as bad as some others, but I wonder why it is that so many people seem to think that as they are in France then they need not bother with proper English? It's not just a case of minor slips like Chancer's, or even a lack of paragraphs like the OP. I may be over-fussy, bearing in mind that the mortgage is paid by me correcting and rewriting things. But most of those are written by people for whom English is a second language, and they are far better written than the average AngloInfo post, for example. When Firefox underlines all suspect words in red, and corrects them at the touch of a mouse button, there's little excuse for spelling errors.

I tried downloading the spellchecker but nothing happened, I have just remembered to apply all of the different eyedrops that I have been prescribed and now cant see much at all!

I am sure that this keybaord may have something to do with it, I type with two fingers and many many times letters get reversed in order or missed out, perhaps I am just typing quicker.

Chancer, you're not the only one who finds posts with few or no paragraph and sentence breaks incredibly difficult to read.  I'm very short-sighted and though my specs correct well, focussing on a big block of text is very tiring. Spelling mistakes don't bother me, but I find lack of punctuation much harder to cope with.

[quote user="Will"][quote user="Chancer"]

...there are so many posts that are just too hard for me to read which I repeat is a shame, if someone takes the time to put their thoughts on the forum surely its better that the maximum of people can enjoy them.

[/quote]

I totally agree with that. This forum is nowhere near as bad as some others, but I wonder why it is that so many people seem to think that as they are in France then they need not bother with proper English? It's not just a case of minor slips like Chancer's, or even a lack of paragraphs like the OP. I may be over-fussy, bearing in mind that the mortgage is paid by me correcting and rewriting things. But most of those are written by people for whom English is a second language, and they are far better written than the average AngloInfo post, for example. When Firefox underlines all suspect words in red, and corrects them at the touch of a mouse button, there's little excuse for spelling errors.

[/quote]

Will, you do not allow for those of us who can speak and write English correctly, but who sometimes have a "finger" problem on the keys, which is not realised until the posting is sent.  I quite often go back to corret my postings because of that, but occasionally I am too much pressed to do that.  Do not be too hard on us, though I do agree, spacing and paragraphing is for me much more important than minor spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, as that eases the readability of the piece.

When it comes to guests taking the Pi*s .I suffered it for years when I had a rental property. I now have a stress free life as I followed the advice of my son .

" Pack it all in and sell the place dad before you give yourself a heart attack "

[quote user="Thebiga"]That is exactly right. We are up for sale, but bad guests are not the only reason.[/quote]

Sounds like you are a little bitter and are probably best out of the business!

P.S. hope my spelling and grammar are correct.

[quote user="Jimmy"][quote user="Thebiga"]That is exactly right. We are up for sale, but bad guests are not the only reason.[/quote]

Sounds like you are a little bitter and are probably best out of the business!

P.S. hope my spelling and grammar are correct.
[/quote]

wot like the others rote [:D]

Not bitter atall Jimmy, Just fed up with having to live on such a small amount of money most of the time. Plus other family reasons for going.

Love france and this place but its time to go and you don't know me so don't judge me.

Horses for courses - but I must say I've never understood this 'dream' many have to run a B&B or a Pub - I just couldn't think of anything worse than being at the beck and call of people, some pretty unpleasant at that.