Gite changeovers

Deb

I have been asked if I would consider doing the gite changeovers for a 4/5 bed house and am wondering what people would consider to be a reasonable amount to charge for providing this service.  I am presuming that I will be expected to wash, iron & change bedlinen (on site) and provide all the necessary cleaning services.  I am already running (along with my husband) a micro-enterprise and am wondering if this can be added as another 'string to our bow'.  How would you charge for this? By the hour or on a fixed price.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Few sites to look at

http://www.brittanypropertymanagement.com/holiday_home_management_prices.htm

http://www.cognacproperty.com/Management.html

http://www.frenchpropertymanagement.co.uk/costs.htm

http://www.allfrenchservices.com/caretaking.phtml

just to give you an idea of what others are charging.

One word of caution, don't under-estimate the workload of doing weekly changeovers[:D]

On average it takes me 40 minutes to changeover one B & B room (hoover and dust, clean bathroom, change linen and replace crockery/soap/toilet rolls etc) so add on the remaining rooms and you have an idea of time.  Allow for the fact oven etc may need cleaning.  Standard of cleaning probably needs to be higher than in your own house - after all whose own house is spotless all the time, but gite renters expect it to look as though no one has been there last week!.  I don't always bother to move all the furniture in my own bedroom when I change the bed but have to go under/behind everything for B & B.

If there is a nearby laundry it make work out cheaper to take bedlinen there as ironing is time consuming.  As Maricopa says do not underestimate time.  Having been asked to do gite changeovers in the past (I don't!!) I find that many owners are surprised at the cost and really want something cheap.  Don't forget to add in your cotisations, insurance etc when calculating your hourly rate.

Working alone, I can just change over both gites inside 6 hours. Thats a two bedroom (4 person) one and a 3 bedroom one (seven person).

Sometimes the previous guests will leave it very clean. I still have to go over it again anyway, but its much quicker. Sometimes they are animals that seem to have been happy wallowing in their own filth, and it takes even longer. The problem is that it MUST be done for the next guests arrival, no mater what state its in, so on occasion I have had to work exceedingly hard to meet the deadline.

Its not a job I would do for minimum wage.

• 4 weeks later...
I was interested to see the links....I thought we had done our homework prior to setting up our property care business. Seems that we are somewhat undercharging compared to other similar enterprises. How to correct this with current clients, I wonder?

Hi there,

Maybe a small increase for the forthcoming year would be appropriate, however you would need to take the 'credit crunch' situation into account.  You don't want to lose your existing clients, perhaps any new clients could have the revised tarrif.

Regards

My 'ex' worked in the summer in a Hotel as a Femme de chambre.

Here is an example of  a job advert from the ANPE for this type of work

(I have left out the details of the Hotel etc.)

HOMME/FEMME DE MENAGE D'HOTEL H/F

(Code Métier ROME 13111)

DANS

DES HOTELS 3 ETOILES VOUS SEREZCHARGE DES CHAMBRES ET DU MENAGE; 3 MOIS

A TEMPS PLEIN PUIS 4 A 5 SEM-AINES EN 20H/HEBDO (2 SEMAINES JANV.ET 2

EN AVRIL).TRAVAIL 6 JOURS/SEM- AINE TOUS LES MATINS 8H30-12H30;14H-16H+

LE SAMEDI.

Type de contrat

CONTRAT TRAVAIL SAISONNIER DE 4 MOI 

Expérience

DEBUTANT ACCEPTE

Qualification

Manoeuvre

Salaire indicatif

HORAIRE 8,71 Euros (57,13 F)

For that she was supposed to do 4 rooms an hour...if it took longer she was only paid by the 4 room an hour tarif.

After all it is unskilled unqualified work which is looked for by many to make ends meet.

[quote user="NormanH"]

Salaire indicatif

For that she was supposed to do 4 rooms an hour...if it took longer she was only paid by the 4 room an hour tarif.

After all it is unskilled unqualified work which is looked for by many to make ends meet.

[/quote]

I totally agree with you; I'm amazed what some companies charge!

[quote user="KathyC"][quote user="NormanH"]

After all it is unskilled unqualified work which is looked for by many to make ends meet.[/quote] 

I totally agree with you; I'm amazed what some companies charge![/quote]

What some companies PAY! I guess you meant?

• 1 year later...
I've resurrected this thread which I found by a 'Search' because I wondered if anyone could give me an up to date quote of what they pay/charge for change over/cleaning of a three bedroom gite with two shower rooms plus a third toilet/cloakroom. I've looked at the links for the Management Companies, but don't feel these are quite so relevant as paying an individual.