A year in France

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Stan - All of the southern French regions changed over to digital yesterday 08 Nov 2011 - the old analogue transmitters have been turned off. So you'll need either satellite, TNT as an integral part of your TV or a TNT set top decoder. Chiefluvvie[/quote]

At the risk of going even further off topic than some who have added to this thread.  I have always had digital and analogue channels directly through an aerial onto my tv.  I can still get sound but no pictures on the channels (or lots of squiggly lines anyway). - House is now shut so wont be a concern till spring at least.

[quote user="idun"]

They count the days in a year, if they want. And they may not bother with you at all, but none of us can say that. 

[/quote]

FFS they don't know now how many foreigners there are in the country, so I'm sure they are not going to worry about a couple of perpetual tourists ( great phrase chancer) [:D]

Funnily (!) enough - a good friend of mine arrived into Dover last month after spending 8 months in France and was presented with a letter from the DWP / NHS informing him that his (and his wife's!) automatic rights to UK healthcare may be withdrawn due to his extended stay outside the UK. He's had forms to fill and numbers to contact as you'd expect - no 'outcome' yet..... Has it happened to anyone else ? Must have picked him up from his car reg / passport ? Not sure, but food for thought......maybe things are tightening up as European states pass around the healthcare hot potato! Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Stan - All of the southern French regions changed over to digital yesterday 08 Nov 2011 - the old analogue transmitters have been turned off. So you'll need either satellite, TNT as an integral part of your TV or a TNT set top decoder. Chiefluvvie[/quote]

At the risk of going even further off topic than some who have added to this thread.  I have always had digital and analogue channels directly through an aerial onto my tv.  I can still get sound but no pictures on the channels (or lots of squiggly lines anyway). - House is now shut so wont be a concern till spring at least.

[/quote]

Stan - it was YOU that mentioned TV Channels - only trying to help!

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="idun"]

Ah SS, this made me smile.

I now understand that I have to return home every 3 months just to say honestly that I have not been out of the country longer than that.  No problem 

They count the days in a year, if they want. And they may not bother with you at all, but none of us can say that. 

[/quote]

Sorry Idun

I normally respect your views but please explain why they would count the days for an inactive since - as I have already posted before - the DTT only mentions 183 days once in its entire length and it is in section 15 (IIRC) titled "Employment".  Stan does not intend to be employed.

He therfore only needs to be able to show that his French house is not his normal resindence - which over a 1 year period I think he can quite safely do.

The 3months Stan refers to is a UK requirement to stay within the NHS and absolutely nothing to do with the French side.

Chiefluvvie wrote the following post at 09/11/2011 18:26:

Funnily (!) enough - a good friend of mine arrived into Dover last month after spending 8 months in France and was presented with a letter from the DWP / NHS informing him that his (and his wife's!) automatic rights to UK healthcare may be withdrawn due to his extended stay outside the UK. He's had forms to fill and numbers to contact as you'd expect - no 'outcome' yet..... Has it happened to anyone else ? Must have picked him up from his car reg / passport ? Not sure, but food for thought......maybe things are tightening up as European states pass around the healthcare hot potato! Chiefluvvie

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one Chiefluvvie and accept that it is not wistfull thinking on your part, its just every urban legend or posting on forums like yours are always about a 3rd party, perhaps others will come forward to answer your question and say it happened to them.

You make it sound like he was given the letter at Dover, if so was it addressed to him or perhaps just a form letter intended to intimidate.

When this perpetual tourist next returns to his UK residence he will ask his doctor the score, he would be sad to lose the payment that he gets for me. 

Chancer - sorry but you've lost me....although I think you may be being slightly rude.

He was simply handed a standard pre-printed letter at Dover, after customs and before the passport check area - just been speaking to him for more details - I'm not familiar with Dover - never been there! I'm sure he'd be happy to provide a copy of the letter if you like.....maybe it should be posted on here?

Surely he can't be the only one??

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="andyh4"][quote user="idun"]

Ah SS, this made me smile.

I now understand that I have to return home every 3 months just to say honestly that I have not been out of the country longer than that.  No problem 

[/quote]

Sorry Idun

I normally respect your views but please explain why they would count the days for an inactive since - as I have already posted before - the DTT only mentions 183 days once in its entire length and it is in section 15 (IIRC) titled "Employment".  Stan does not intend to be employed.

He therfore only needs to be able to show that his French house is not his normal resindence - which over a 1 year period I think he can quite safely do.

The 3months Stan refers to is a UK requirement to stay within the NHS and absolutely nothing to do with the French side.

[/quote]

[:D]I didn't think I'd said anything about the french side, did I,? just that I was amused, which I still am.

Someone in the receipt of their state pension can have up to 183 days out of the country and keep their NHS rights, and pre retraite have 3 months.  I have spoken to Newcastle about this, why, well as I'm on the phone to Newcastle a lot, because I have a very confusing situation, that probably shouldn't be, but is. I also asked about this for a friend of mine with a place in Spain who is going to be spending as much time as possible there when she retires.

I'm only passing on what I was told. So it goes by days and not lumps of time. We the public can interpret all we want, but that is what the folks that deal with these things have told me. I wouldn't ever just go by any information I had been told on a message board. I always check.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Chancer - sorry but you've lost me....although I think you may be being slightly rude. He was simply handed a standard pre-printed letter at Dover, after customs and before the passport check area - just been speaking to him for more details - I'm not familiar with Dover - never been there! I'm sure he'd be happy to provide a copy of the letter if you like.....maybe it should be posted on here? Surely he can't be the only one?? Chiefluvvie[/quote]

My apologies if I came across as rude, its just many people have an agenda and love to post scare stories, thanks for the explanation, no doubt I will get a copy of the letter the next time that I pass through, it does rather sound like a scare tactic though, I had initially read your posting as meaning that they personally were served with a letter informing them that they had lost their rights to healthcare.

It looks like a similar procedure that I had to go through after returning from travelling in 2004, a right to reside and a habitual residency test.

If I get the third degree I will simply tell them that I am a perpetual tourist [6]

Most people eventually lose the will to live when they try to interrogate me regarding my international man of mystery status, I just dont fit into any of the compartments that they like to classify people with although I suspect that I have the profile of a dope pedlar (theres an old phrase) judging by the number of times I have had the rubber glove treatment, good job that I have learned to enjoy it! [:P]

Chancer, I know for a fact (two people  I met in a supermarket told me)

that there will be a squad of police and customs officers waiting for

you next time you dare to cross the channel. 

How dare you put a

strain on the NHS by visiting a doctor in the UK? Do you realise you

are taking up resources which could be better spent on some illegal

immigrant? 

The fact is the £20k spent by the police following

up your case and the sting operation in Dover when you arrive will be

more than compensated for by the publicity on some nondescript forum

board in France and the £20 fine you receive. The authorities expect to

recoup the money spent within the next 30 years by people not visiting NHS doctors and dentists. 

They are also aware that

some people over the age of 60 are receiving illegal eye tests by

showing their UK passports, this MUST STOP, so if you are considering it

make sure you cannot be tracked down and made to pay the ££££ fee.

You cant scare me!

I will pass through Dover without a second glance, they know I am coming to do my dirty work and they have been told to let me pass so they can continue to gather evidence and catch me in fragrant delire, they will hold back on the sting operation until I visit some exotic and expensive location, I thought everyone knew that is the only place they carry them out, they send a large team in to cover all eventualities.

In my case they will have a long wait [:D]

Chiefluvvie, Chiefluwie, are there any more of you out there?

How about I change my name to Chieflairy?

Silly old you Chancer, it can't be the same person.

The first Chiefluvvie doesn't list his interest in his profile as "getting at stupid people"

This one, Chiefluwie does, and he only joined today.

Still he also lists his profession as unemployed santa, so I guess he must be bored out of his skull.

Nope, can't possibly be the same person, coz dual IDs are interdit, and we'd have to chop off his head [:D]