Im thinking of giving up the gites.

dave21478

Its not unusual for guests to ask where they can go for a drink or a meal, and I am happy to point out local places, but this is getting harder and harder. I decided to do a little reccy mission to see whats what this season today.

My father is here visiting from UK. Its hard going, with him, so I decide an afternoon in a cafe or bar would kill some time. The local village`s main hotel/resto closed down last year and no buyer has been found. There is another bar/snack place so we popped down there. It was closed. A sunny weekday afternoon during peak season school holidays and they were closed! there is a very busy tourist attraction right next door to them and as we sat in the car deciding what to do, A steady stream of families approached the bar and turned away, dissappointed at being unable to spend their money. They are open for evening meals and some lunch times on random days through the week. Must be nice, during this "financial crisis" to be able to pick and choose your hours and turn customers away.

So, off we went. 10 minutes drive saw us outside another cafe. tables on the terrace, parasols...it all looked promising, but it was deserted. Nobody home. A sign outside had the menu up as normal, but nowhere were their opening hours listed. Again, somewhere doing so well, they seem to be able to close as they wish.

Onwards we went, to another town, with another closed hotel and nobody interested in taking it over. Of the two more cafes in the side streets, one was closed for the day, and one was just closing.

We went home. Thirsty.

I dont get it - this region is crying out for tourism, and some areas are finding their feet, yet nobody seems to be interested in cateing to the basic needs of the tourists. A journey to one of the nearer cities would reveal dozens upon dozens of cafes and restos open all day during the busy periods, and doing well because of it. Its a bitter pill for my guests though when I have to tell them that the nearest place to get a cup of coffee or a beer on a sunny friday afternoon in July is probably 40 minutes drive away.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are closed cafes and restaurants.....plus hotels because the French are not great caterers!

Is that a shock!

It is really not so easy top get a good cup of coffee.

So many cakes and things are from a huge catering supplier [rather all similar to most things in UK]

In my area there are a few good restaurants....

The effort to provide great food has been lost with the summer sun.

All the more buisness for us ....

Clients arriving from America for the cooking school in a few weeks....taking them to two ecceptional restaurants where the owners are great characters.

Jon, Im not talking about not being able to find a 5star resto, Im annoyed at the closures of local bars and cafes, which is killing off the small villages and having a serious effect on tourism.

As for the French not being good caterers, thats a very bold, borderline arrogant, statement. Aside from franchise and chain places like Buffalo Grill, I have yet to have a meal in France that hasnt been prepared and cooked entirely on site, unlike UK where a very large percentage of meals served in pubs and resto`s are all prepared and packed off-site by a central supplier.

[quote user="dave21478"]Jon, Im not talking about not being able to find a 5star resto, Im annoyed at the closures of local bars and cafes, which is killing off the small villages and having a serious effect on tourism.

As for the French not being good caterers, thats a very bold, borderline arrogant, statement. Aside from franchise and chain places like Buffalo Grill, I have yet to have a meal in France that hasnt been prepared and cooked entirely on site, unlike UK where a very large percentage of meals served in pubs and resto`s are all prepared and packed off-site by a central supplier.
[/quote]

I think its a different mentality and something to do with the old saying "The English live to work and the French work to live". I always take that to mean the English can't stop working, they are more materialistic and need to pay for it where as the French just earn enough money to live then take the rest of the day/week/month off. 'Bridge Days' are a classic example, they take them but many don't get paid.

A classic example of the mentality can be explained thus. Two years ago we had a meeting arranged by the regional tourist office with the object of extending the season in to October. The CDH and Gites owned of nationalities other than French were all up for it but the French said a resounding NO. They earned enough in the season so why extend it. All this after our major industry closed making some eight thousand people unemployed and the region saying tourism was the way to go. For us its very frustrating, we are open most of the year, as are the other non French owned CDH's and Gites but the problem is there is nowhere to go, everything is closed.

We have five bars and seven restaurants in our nearest village/town. Many close on Fridays (?) Sunday and Monday night. Why a Friday when traditionally we would go out for a meal to celebrate the weekend I don't know but then I am thinking British perhaps and not French. The only concession we get is that the baker opens on a Monday in July and August.

As to the food it depends what you want to pay. The days of feeding a family of four for five quid went long before we arrived and thats eight years ago. There is a restaurant you can pay 12 Euros a head for three course, aperitif and wine but its a 30 minute drive away. The rest of the restaurants cost on average 25 Euros per head including wine which is why we pitch our meals at 20 Euros a head. If you want to eat really well we have a 'Gastro Restaurant' in town but it will cost around 100 Euros a couple but the food is excellent, better than some high end London restaurants (and believe me I have eaten in just about every one of them and many of the chefs I wouldn't even allow to cook breakfast in Asda) and we are in the 'back and beyond'. I am afraid its the old adage, champagne for lemonade prices, you pays your money and takes your chances.

The only thing I would contradict in Daves post is that many of the sauces come in big can's and they sell it in Metro, you would be surprised who you 'bump' in to at these places but it does explain the consistency of the sauces from restaurant to restaurant. The rest is as you say, fresh veg delivered daily and everything home cooked.

[quote user="dave21478"]Jon, Im not talking about not being able to find a 5star resto, Im annoyed at the closures of local bars and cafes, which is killing off the small villages and having a serious effect on tourism.
[/quote]

I just wonder if it it is not the other way around, lack of tourism (and local works) killing off the cafe, many of the village bar/cafes around here are not self supporting, I overheard a connversation at the peak of prices a year or so ago between some french people to the effect that the english had lost the war of aquitaine but had returned to buy it back, to which the reply was 'Dieu soit loué'  thank goodness!
A conversation at the local bar/cafe last year where the lunchtimes were packed with white vans and men in blue trousers for the lunchtime special menu, but revealed the more expensive evening and weekend menus were mostly for the english tourists and second home owners.
Sad to say that this year the bar is closed (as are others in the area).[:(]

I wonder whether some of this is not unwillingness of the employers but of their staff - the militant side of the French coming out?  One of my neighbours was telling me that her husband's boss had been asked to quote for a job that was a little outside the area they normally worked.  The job was a sizeable one but meant that the employees who would be engaged on the job wouldn't be able to get back home for their 12 - 2 lunch break.  She proudly announced that her OH had told his patron to 'buzz off' and, as a consequence, his boss had had to turn down the work.  This would be unheard of in the UK - an employee with an attitude like that would be fired.  In France it's almost impossible to fire your employees so they can hold their employees over the, proverbial, barrel.

I think the comparison of work attitudes (i.e. the bridge days) is out of date Quillan.  Many employers in the UK now offer flexible working, i.e. part-time, compressed hours, the opportunity to buy additional holiday, take unpaid leave or sabbaticals.  The uptake of all these is very high.  The problem has been that, previously, employees in the UK did not have these choices and they had limited power to force changes in working practices.  IMHO France goes too far the other way.

[quote user="Scooby"]

I think the comparison of work attitudes (i.e. the bridge days) is out of date Quillan.  Many employers in the UK now offer flexible working, i.e. part-time, compressed hours, the opportunity to buy additional holiday, take unpaid leave or sabbaticals.  The uptake of all these is very high.  The problem has been that, previously, employees in the UK did not have these choices and they had limited power to force changes in working practices.  IMHO France goes too far the other way.

[/quote]

We were quite shocked when we moved from the UK to the Netherlands - in the UK we had homeworking, flexible working etc etc - we were trusted to do the job without constant supervision.  We were probably more productive in those circumstances than sitting in an office, doing the dreaded office politics, and having to sidestep "Eastenders" conversations.  In the Netherlands there is none of this - employers don't think you are working unless they can see you.  The situation seems to be the same in France.  The only way to get the flexibility we would like would be to work freelance or on short-term contracts - sadly not many of those jobs about in the current climate.

Going back to local bars/restaurants, in our village, the baker has a cafe attached - it is only open in the summer though.  The karting operation (5 minutes away) has a resto rapide (aka chips with your frites m'sieur?) but 10 km away in Gerardmer there is everything from stuffy fine dining, to brasseries, to pizza and kebabs.  And they are open year round (other than the traditional fermeture annuelle), but, this is a year round tourist destination because of the wintersports, which makes a huge difference.

The Parisian paying guests booked for this week got stuck in the traffic and arrived at 7:30pm. They had not planned such a long journey and had no provisions for their evening meal.

On my advice, they drove 3km to the village where they had a choice of eating in a (French-style) pizzeria, a 1* Michelin-rated restaurant or the unpretentious friendly local restaurant on the village square, which offers three-course set meals at €12, soup, wine and coffee included.

[quote user="Scooby"]
[/quote]

Well apart from the banks and post office the bridge day definitely works round here, I guess it can vary from region/department to another as we have discovered m,any times in this forum what happens in one department does not always happen in another.

The problem with the employers in the UK that offer all the sort of things you are talking about is thats it's not for free and comes at a high price. My daughter works for a large merchant bank. Her contract is for a 35 hour week and offers a bonus (yes she is one of those). She can buy holiday above her three weeks allotment and she can have unpaid holiday if she wishes. The truth of the matter is she has targets which were set at the time she joined the company. To achieve those targets she works from 08:00 in the morning to 20:00 or 21:00 at night plus Saturday mornings and gets no overtime, thats about on average 70 hours per week, double her contract time for which she receives a standard salary. Her salary is better than some and worse than others and she is not alone, her whole department is the same.

The rewards are high in the long term, she gets a good bonus, cheap company shares which enable her to buy holidays and visit places like Dubai and stay in 5 star hotels for a week at a time. She has just bought one of those new Audi sports cars and has this and that so she is driven, like many people in the UK these days, by materialism and to get it she has to work her socks off but then thats a choice. Mind you we were a bit disapointed when we went to visit her, took a black bag of washing with us and asked for some of our money back (got no cash but we got taken out to eat every night instead), payback for all those years at Uni. The washing was sent out to be laundered by the way. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]Well apart from the banks and post office the bridge day definitely works round here, I guess it can vary from region/department to another as we have discovered m,any times in this forum what happens in one department does not always happen in another.[/quote]

In many instances, the pont (bridge-day) is imposed by the employer and employees have no choic in the matter.

Many would prefer to work and earn, but as the employer chooses to close for a long weekend, they have no option.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

The rewards are high in the long term, she gets a good bonus, cheap company shares which enable her to buy holidays and visit places like Dubai and stay in 5 star hotels for a week at a time. She has just bought one of those new Audi sports cars and has this and that so she is driven, like many people in the UK these days, by materialism and to get it she has to work her socks off but then thats a choice. Mind you we were a bit disapointed when we went to visit her, took a black bag of washing with us and asked for some of our money back (got no cash but we got taken out to eat every night instead), payback for all those years at Uni. The washing was sent out to be laundered by the way. [;-)]

[/quote]

The rewards may be high but at what price?  And, depending on the angle you are coming from they may not be 'rewards'.  When I work away I stay in 5* hotels, travel first class etc - but I wouldn't say it was a reward.  I hate being away from home and no first class travel or 5* luxury will compensate for that.  It's still a faceless hotel where you have to eat fancy food in bland corporate surroundings when you'd prefer beans on toast snuggled up with your partner on the sofa.  Like your daughter, I work for a bank but would guess nearly 3/4 of my fellow employees are on some sort of flexible working arrangement.  I could (but don't) choose to have a fancy car - I take the cash which I use to work less hours / buy more holiday.  As you said it's her choice...but she does have that choice.  Although many I work with value the flexible options there are the odd few (die hard executives who are heading for a stroke / coronary/ ulcers (or all three!) and ambitious youngsters - who have yet to have a family / learn the real value of time etc!) who are only focussed only on material rewards.

Shot....well...

I speak as I find.

Nothing to do with 5star cuisine....but a lot to do with decent cooking.....simple ...yes it can be simple....but a little cooking not packet opening...frozen chips...cheap sausages and tins of confit. That may be the reason why some restaurants go bust.

Plenty of veg in France but hardly ever seen on the plates in a restaurant.

Not so hard to put a little effort into the cooking is it?

Sounds like your part of France really is 'special' then, a place to avoid at all costs as there is no decent grub to be had anywhere except at your place. Perhaps you could do your bit for your area and its restaurants by giving them a free weekends worth of cooking lessons to show them how to cook proper like. It might help attract a nicer sort of person to the area.

Why does everyone head for France in the same week-end every year.  They know they will be stuck in traffic for hours.  We had guests arrive last night for an overnight stay (in the Auvergne), from Holland on their way to Spain.  They were driving for 17 hours and spent the usual 3 to 4 hours of this just trying to get around Paris. 

The previous night we had some guests, again for a one night stay on their way from Holland to Spain and they arrived at midnight, so yes too late for the prebooked evening meal.  Luckily they phoned us a couple of times en route, so we had not started to cook the meal.  All the others guests were nicely tucked up in bed and fast asleep by the time they arrived.

Still can't complain the sun is shining, summer has arrived, the French have reappeared from their winter hibernation behind the shutters and everything in the garden is rosy.  Just now waiting for the remainder of tonights guests 3 adults plus dog and 2 adults plus baby, must be held up around Paris again!

Wendy

There are a few places to eat well....just a few.

The Routiers...La Puce looks really very ordinary from the outside[Close to St Emilion on the 936 road]

Huge capacity and almost unlimited wine.

Soup then some plates of this and that...then the main...was braised rabbit and plain tagiatelli....followed by a dessert of some sort [no need to get excited] but for 14 euros there is no reason to complain. Our friends enjoyed a bottle of rose and a bottle of red....

The highlight of the meal is the energy and friendliness of the 86 year old owner who moves around the table like a youngster,clearing plates and dancing...she bursts into song at times.

Free cookery classes! Well we are working rather hard with the B and B and eveing meals.

In August there is the first arrivals for a cooking holiday....from America.The five days are packed with all sorts including a medieval feast.

Not sure if I know anyone who can give their time and energy for free.....except for those who can and do not.

But all is going rather well...I have to say.

Why does everybody head out at the same time.  Lord knows, but the herd mentality rules.  We have delightful Parisien guests who come each year in August.  They are now 78 and 75 - every year they moan like hell about the heat.  Last year I said 'Well Albert, why don't you come at the end of September, it is lovely here then, and cooler so you can get out more'.  Horrified silence and he said "But Madame, the holidays are in August".

We have equal problems with the Caisse de Congés Payés who can never seem to get their collective heads round the fact that my husband has holidays at times other than August.  Causes them endless angst and writing to employer as they can't believe that a person would CHOSE to holiday any time other than August.

Currently I have Spanish guests.  They are deeply puzzled by the French inability to provide meals at any time other than 12.00 - 14.00 and 19.00 - 21.00.  I think I'm going to be making a lot of snacks over the next week or so!!  Last week's Germans kept missing lunch too. 

Good morning! Russet House!

There had to be an answer like that.....coming....as summer is not yet over and the "forum folly"must be ready for a little fun.

How many of you are prepared to cater for non-paying clients;cook for them,dress and maintain their rooms and show them how to cook over a period of five days. If  any of you are willing to do so then let me k now...perhaps we can begin an association of fellowship or something to offer cookery holidays for free.

Perhaps one of the all time heroes of cooking like Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey will  buy a  lovely house in France with land, hire an architect and a team of artisans to  crerate beautifull rooms and a splendid garden.Then they could, perhaps offer their skills and time to people who might be interested to learn about the art of fine cuisine.....or phuka platters.

It is really conciderate and wonderfull that people give up some or lots of their time to assist/manage forums.

I seem to remember Jon that you said something about your region and where you live and all the wonderful things there that you can use. Perhaps you should consider giving something back to your new community and there are loads of ways to do that. If the restros are struggling in your area like you said then why don't you formulate a plan to help them, show them where they are going wrong or more to the point help to put them right. Surely as they live close at hand you don't have to accommodate them, you could run evening class's out of season. This would also help you as well in integrating and also would help keep people in your area when they come on holiday which in turn helps boost the local economy. It also helps return business for you because there will be half decent restros locally, I mean who wants to go back to a nice place where you can't get good locally produced food at reasonable prices which is what you have discovered. I always think its nice to be thought of as a giver rather than a taker.

Anyway, rather than banging on about your wonderful place, cooking school and Americans why not help us on the forum, why not give us the benefit of your experience and give us some recipes for Table D'hote that are quick and easy and not beyond us amateur cooks. I have even started a thread for you. You can get there by using the following link.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1755442/ShowPost.aspx

I thi nk that in the poast I have given you some receipes.

I am happy to do so again.Once again I need to reminde you that I do intigrate with people within my community and sujrrounding areas.

Most of the people who run restos in the area are very proud an d are not interested to know better.They seem to be happy to struggle with little or no customers.Yes I could help them and would love to help them if the so wished.

The English in the area with caterting outlets also have a mind of their own.

Come on it is all about pride....how many people are willing to be helped?
I have tried.

Yes things are working rather well for me despite my problems with the terrible website....which will be changed.

The produce here is good but people can be lazy and they think that this is unoticed.But for those who like good food they see it all.

I am not sure that you will have the time to use my receipes as most of you  like to take the quicker route....this I understand.....however good food often takes time and effort. Thats why it costs rather more to eat in a special restaurant. We are all differenet.

[quote user="jon"]

I thi nk that in the poast I have given you some receipes.

I am happy to do so again.Once again I need to reminde you that I do intigrate with people within my community and sujrrounding areas.

Most of the people who run restos in the area are very proud an d are not interested to know better.They seem to be happy to struggle with little or no customers.Yes I could help them and would love to help them if the so wished.

The English in the area with caterting outlets also have a mind of their own.

Come on it is all about pride....how many people are willing to be helped?

I have tried.

Yes things are working rather well for me despite my problems with the terrible website....which will be changed.

The produce here is good but people can be lazy and they think that this is unoticed.But for those who like good food they see it all.

I am not sure that you will have the time to use my receipes as most of you  like to take the quicker route....this I understand.....however good food often takes time and effort. Thats why it costs rather more to eat in a special restaurant. We are all differenet.

[/quote]

It's called resistance to change and occurs in all walks and areas of life.

However, I think many people have issues with being patronised.  What form exactly would your "help" take? 

Indeed we are all different, and we all have a different approach.  My days of cooking for money are past at the moment,(I was a chalet host in the Alps - similar to running a CdH but with snow I imagine) - we produced a mixture of  simple (or should that read cop-out?) dishes, and more complex offerings (loin of pork with red pepper jus for example).

Jon, do you really believe you are the only person on this forum who has any valid comments to make about food and catering?  I admire your experience and have tried a couple of your recipes (even for just my family I still make proper stock and freeze it in useable lumps) and they were good.  But there are other points of view which are equally valid.

Going to prepare pane de poissons avec haricot blanc, sauce tomate for lunch.  Yum.  Then going to make and freeze the boulettes de moelle, and the first part of the consomme, for a forthcoming lunch party.  It's not hooligan food all the way!

Fi