Paying changeover staff

chicken

• 2 weeks later...
Depends what they do. If they are just cleaning, making beds, cutting grass atc. under your supervision then SMIC to 10€ an hour if you are paying them using cheque service. If you are expecting someone to take full responsibility for the changeover, sorting out inventory and damages and seeing the new guests into the house from €20 per hour seems to be the going rate.

• 4 months later...
its not enough - our minimum is 25€/hr + TVA.However for grass cutting we charge per job as we have good kit. So if someone is charging 17/hr and takes 4 hrs to a job I take 1 hr to do, my 25€/hr is cheap..........3000sq/hr cut/collected & dumped. + strimming etc. (depending on terrain and length of grass etc)

Steve

[quote user="brummie phil"]We pay 17 euro an hour for cleaning and grass cutting . Am looking around for someone cheaper[/quote]

And I suppose you want cheaper and better? Look if the job is done properly 17 Euro an hour is cheap, if it's done badly 17 Euro is expensive, if it's done badly at 10 euro an hour it's expensive. It 'aint rocket science. [:D]

[quote user="brummie phil"]No I want a fair price . Not living in the country I have no idea what that is.

If you said what a fair price for the same in the Uk then I would say minimum wage is too cheap.But that is what I would get paid at the local travel lodge.Their standards are so high. They don't allow one hair to be left anywhere,measure the covers on the bed so many cms wrong and you start again.They have regular inspections by the boss.They say their standards are as high as the Hilton in London.I know this because my wife went for a job there.[/quote]

Well, Phil: how clean and precise do you want your property to be? I have responsibility for a fleet of second homes, some let out commercially, others only used by owners. The standards of cleaning required from us vary, even between the commerical lets. I have one lady who is as precise as your example, yet another client doesn't think the windows ever need cleaning during the season and he won't pay to have them done; so they don't get done (repeat bookings are not common there).

Your cleaner will need a full schedule of work to be able to give you a devis (quote) eg is cleaning the BBQ and garden furniture lumped in with the cleaning, or in with gardening - or not done at all?

Our price for a total clean will be the appropriate hourly rate times the N° of hours, plus in some cases a set travel to work charge. Our hourly rates have to cover our 'wages' and our costs which include social charges and, with petrol costs rising, travel charges may have to go up this summer.

I get loads of enquiries "how much for a change over" my answer, how long is a piece of string!! There are just too many variables to do a definitive price for every change over.

I lay out my pricing as is, on an hourly rate, if the renter has left the house in a complete pigsty then the price charged reflects that, if it is way over the "normal invoice" then the excess should be retained from the security deposit; some owners do some don't, that is their decision.

I try to provide an all in gite service, that means making sure a house is left to a very good standard for an incoming renter ie the house is clean the garden is tidy etc. Steve (I think works in a whole different ball game being more a "paysagiste") has to have very professional equipment, maintenance costs are high and being in the artisan threshold and a turn over that puts him in the TVA regime has no choice but to charge more than I do. I too have grass cutting equipment but only "hand tools" so to speak, nonetheless I am not talking cheap brico shed stuff here, you can expect to pay 1000 euros or more for a good quality lawn mower here!! not 250 euros from brico marche.

People working at SMIC (minimum wage) (9.00 euros here) are  normally working for companies, they have everything provided for them they don't have to buy equipment (still have to pay social (NI) on top of that though!! although at min wage level probably no tax) so from 1300 euros per month they probably only get 1000 euros a month in the bank.

As I said before, 17 euros I think is good. plus if you are happy with the results then stick with it. cheaper is not necessarily better.

I think I have rambled enough, it is late, off to bed,

To add my two pennorth.

We started off with a lady who 'met and greet' managed the property and the changeovers and the laundry. A fair fee per rental was agreed and I doubt that either of us was 'out'.

She left for the UK and we got a local company. Slightly better rates initially but on a steep escalator year on year. Unfortunately their quality had a negative correlation to their prices!

Now we have a 'per hour ' relationship which is very much based on trust, but we want the quality.

None of this answers the original question. Sorry. However I hope to have added illumination about the problem.

John

But sorry if you think that was all waffle !

Good morning everyone :) Le chef does 2 changeovers - one on a Saturday, another on a Wednesday - min 25€/hr + TVA. A 'normal' changeover will be 4 hrs or there abouts. If the renters have left it in a crap state then we phone the owner to let them know (so they can dock it from security deposit) - The only really bad one was 12 students who were still in bed at 10 am, the time they should have gone! They had a party the night before........I had to go help finish of after my pools, total was around 8hrs! (note - no more students!) But other than that its not been too bad. As was said, its all based on trust.

As far as gardening goes, yes we have some expensive kit but it does a great job :)

Steve

The mower is a Kubota G21 pro with 500 litre collection box - cuts & collects upto 3000m sq an hour - over 500 or so hours now and perfectly reliable - just changed oil and filter ready for this year. We also use Stihl strimmers and everything else 2 stroke is sthil so mix is the same which makes life easier! We had Mcbolloch etc and it only lasts a season, so you get what you pay for.

Steve

Just to add my little bit to this subject. We clean gites as a living in the Dordogne and believe me it can be very hard work, especially when people just walk away and leave it in a mess, and then there is the pool and garden to do in the short amount of turn-round time. Then there is the laundry which keeps me busy for the rest of the week. I am sure the property owners do not realise how much we have to pay in social costs, forget the tax we don't earn enough to pay it!! Then there is the cost to get to the property which we do not charge extra for. We charge 20 Euros per hour and after paying our cotisations we do not even see half of that. I cringe when I see adverts looking for changeovers and offering to pay 12 Euros per hour!!

hear hear (put your price up as well) :)

We do pool and garden on a different day - the renters are aware of this and can chose to go out or not while I cut the grass/clean the pool. We do 'try' and get the pools done just before they are due in, as there is nothing worse than a dead frog at the bottom!

Steve

[quote user="Dordogne Landlady"]Just to add my little bit to this subject. We clean gites as a living in the Dordogne and believe me it can be very hard work, especially when people just walk away and leave it in a mess, and then there is the pool and garden to do in the short amount of turn-round time. Then there is the laundry which keeps me busy for the rest of the week. I am sure the property owners do not realise how much we have to pay in social costs, forget the tax we don't earn enough to pay it!! Then there is the cost to get to the property which we do not charge extra for. We charge 20 Euros per hour and after paying our cotisations we do not even see half of that. I cringe when I see adverts looking for changeovers and offering to pay 12 Euros per hour!![/quote]

I quite agree, Dordogne Landlady.  It is very hard work.  It is not until you have done some changeovers that you realise this.  If you have someone who is doing the changeovers well, you should cherish them.