WIFI / Broadband

euro

I was speaking on the phone to a guy (representitve for devolo.com) to buy some CPL's.  He said there is a device which costs 600€~ which can monitor all internet activity and is the (legal) way you can monitor internet searches.  I decided against it based on the 600€ and the chance of a guests getting me into trouble.  However, this is an option to look into.

osie

[quote user="euro"]Is WIFI internet becoming a must have for guests ?

Thanks[/quote]

It isn't becoming a must have, it is a must have and has been for a couple of years. You can use a system like open DNS to restrice usage of certain websites if you are worried about downloading. I never haveas I don't want to restrict my usage and I'm use the same router as the guests.

[quote user="Nimportequoi"][quote user="euro"]Is WIFI internet becoming a must have for guests ? Thanks[/quote]
 it is a must have and has been for a couple of years. [/quote]

This is the first year my poll results have indicated it is now requested. As I don't yet have it but have 90% booking for this summer there are plenty of people who prefer the pool to the internet and most smart phones receive email without issue so is browsing so important?

There are plently of sad geeky nerds out there who seem to be surgically attached to their laptops and like nothing better than 'net surfing all holiday or spending hours on internet forums........................

Ummmm.......

By legal.. I meant that it is a requirement to register who is accessing your internet and  this tool was a way to do that...

I guess it is a box that registers all connections to the internet.

side note: Most hotels I have been to have a log in to get onto the internet... maybe it is possible to set your router to show a login screen and then to save the information to a database...

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="Nimportequoi"][quote user="euro"]Is WIFI internet becoming a must have for guests ? Thanks[/quote]

This is the first year my poll results have indicated it is now requested. As I don't yet have it but have 90% booking for this summer there are plenty of people who prefer the pool to the internet and most smart phones receive email without issue so is browsing so important?

[/quote]

I am 98% full in all three gites from April to September, maybe it is because of the free wifi;) The pool helps of course.

3G doesn't work inside my gites (thick granite walls) and anyway it is very expensive abroad - I have an iphone and it costs lots to surf the internet when I go to the UK, even with the special Orange abroad package.

People don't just use the internet for work, but also recipes, things to do in the local area, everything really. Free internet access would be indispensable to me so that is why I offer it to my guests.

I make that in excess of 35 holiday fortnights x the average family of 2 + 2 kids giving a total of 140 individuals so the question is how confident are you that not a single one of those guest or their 'orrible offspring will abuse your WiFi ?

[quote user="Nimportequoi"][quote user="Théière"]

[/quote]
I am 98% full in all three gites from April to September, maybe it is because of the free wifi;) The pool helps of course.
3G doesn't work inside my gites (thick granite walls) and anyway it is very expensive abroad - I have an iphone and it costs lots to surf the internet when I go to the UK, even with the special Orange abroad package.
People don't just use the internet for work, but also recipes, things to do in the local area, everything really. Free internet access would be indispensable to me so that is why I offer it to my guests.
[/quote]

Ha ha, stop advertising your pool and see how full you get [:)] Internet, icing on the cake not the cake, still have to find a flexible option for us and guests

[quote user="AnOther"]I make that in excess of 35 holiday fortnights x the average family of 2 + 2 kids giving a total of 140 individuals so the question is how confident are you that not a single one of those guest or their 'orrible offspring will abuse your WiFi ?

[/quote]

Well, in 4 years no-one has - I've only got 1Mo so it isn't easy to telecharge anything...I know, I've tried with films in the past.

I've had a lot of bookings which have depended on having internet availability. Maybe not essential for everyone, (not so much for French guests) but it is for me and most other nationalities. Same for the pool, king size beds...guests expect more and more now, and if you don't keep up with the demand, you lose risk losing bookings.

Yes don't read me wrong, I agree Internet will have to happen so I regularly try to find what's available (easier if you are permanently resident) but currently I only really need it for 14-16 weeks a year. For now be grateful we don't all have it or you'll find the competition for lets even tougher

[quote user="Nimportequoi"]Well, in 4 years no-one has - I've only got 1Mo so it isn't easy to telecharge anything...I know, I've tried with films in the past.[/quote]You mean you assume no-one has, you cannot possibly know that, and I can assure you that 1mb is more than enough to download music and films.

PS: Cannot quote you with a ' in your user name.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Nimportequoi"]Well, in 4 years no-one has - I've only got 1Mo so it isn't easy to telecharge anything...I know, I've tried with films in the past.[/quote]You mean you assume no-one has, you cannot possibly know that, and I can assure you that 1mb is more than enough to download music and films.

PS: Cannot quote you with a ' in your user name.

[/quote]

Music yes, but it takes a long time to download films, I've tried, as I said in a previous post. At least 4 hours and I'd know if someone else was doing it as they would be hogging all the bandwidth.

People who stay here generally are families and they have better things to do with their time then spend hours downloading stuff, so Hadopi isn't at the top of my worry list.

Interesting thread. We have WiFi at our gite but only because the tenants in the main house who manage it for us have telephone/internet. They are now leaving and we will rent the whole property out as a holiday let so no-one will be permanently resident there. I don't really want to be forking out for a telephone line/broadband just for guests but if we have to does anyone know the most cost effective way to do this?

You couldn't make it up. From the Wiki link mentioned earlier:

"Shortly after HADOPI's agency logo was presented to the public by Minister of Culture and Communication Frédéric Mitterrand, it was revealed that the logo used an unlicensed font. The font was created by typeface designer Jean François Porchez, and is owned by France Télécom. The design agency that drew the logo, Plan Créatif, admitted to using the font by mistake – although the font is available only illegally on pirate sites – and the logo was redone with another font."

Clarkkent said:

"don't know about French systems, but in England I have a BT Home Hub 2. In addition to being my modem-router, when it is switched on, it also acts as a BT Fon wi-fi hot spot and may accessed by anyone wishing to connect to the internet. ..........And if so, would not such a device free gite owner from the threat of Hadopi?"

Freeboxes do this, Neuf and maybe others too.

The Free hotspot user is given a separate IP address to that of the local subscriber, but still needs someone's (Free) account details in order to access the hotspot, so if you provide your details its still down to you.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...