Which tax regime for a new gite?

VandA

[quote user="gone-fishin"]Simon...thank you.

Does anyone know if 'declaration for Meubles de Tourisme (gites) on Cerfa Form 14004'..... does it have to be filled in anew every year!!![/quote]

Once is enough.

Previous discussion on this topic http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2374785/ShowPost.aspx

Sticky: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2045901/ShowPost.aspx

Hi Jay,

Yes I filled that form in and gave it to the Mairie, they said that they have to send the form to the prefecture, then I will hear back to say everything will be ok.

Then I got a phone call saying to go and see the Mairie which I did, and they seemed a bit confused and said I need to go to the website www.atout-france.fr as I will probably have to be classified and gave me back my form! As the site is in French I have to be in the mood to read it, I have read a bit and it doesn't seem to say if you have to pay for this so will study it more later.

So I am rather fed up with the whole thing, I really don't know if it's all worthwhile, was so much easier before!

Well got my other half to go into the Mairie, but they still said no you have to get yourself classified, we will NOT stamp it until!!!

Now I've got to find somebody to do this Gites de France website is rubbish i cant find anywhere to find this out!

Anybody any ideas!

Ours was classified by the Cantal's "Comité Départemental du Tourisme et Thermalisme": it cost us €35, but we did have to wait nearly five months before they came to look at it.

The inspection took a little more than two hours - so they were reasonably thorough, doing things like checking the expiry date on the rubber pipes for the gas to the cooker. But it is now officially 2 (departmental) stars. Having it classified lets you know whether your gite conforms to the commonsense standards visitors possibly expect, and it wasn't much trouble.

There is probably a similar departmental tourist organisation where you live who will do yours if you wish.

I happened to be researching this myself recently

You will find details of all the acreditation organisations here http://www.cofrac.fr/fr/actualites/index.php?tag_id=4

I have another link for you but dont know how to copy and paste more than one thing so I will edit this post

Editted:

This gives you a good overview of the new fiscal regime http://www.net-iris.fr/veille-juridique/actualite/25301/normes-et-procedure-de-classement-des-meubles-de-tourisme.php

I will be getiing my apartments accredited as and when they are completed, please post how you get on with your inspection.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Am in the process of trying to find somebody to classify us, crazy wish I didn't have to bother why don't they just sign the form and leave it at that.

Problem now is I need to start filling the gite up, and need to advertise, I can't wait weeks months for their decision, so naturally I don't want to lose out financially! Do I go ahead and pay money out for advertising and accept bookings, times running out to catch possible renters, if they so no then I'm stuck!

I don't understand - the registration I have with the Mairie is nothing to do with the Préfectural classification (which I don't have). You only need to be registered with the Mairie. You do not require Préfectural classification to run a gite business, although it will give you tax benefits if you are in the microbic régime (71% abattement as opposed to 50% without classification).

Go ahead and start advertising asap.

Jilly, I think we have already been through this. It is really quite simple - you DO NOT NEED classification as NI says above and I sent you the link to the form you send to the Mairie. Just go ahead and advertise, you are not doing anything wrong. Make sure you send the form off to the Mairie then forget about it - you have done your bit.

I know we have been through this, but what you do not understand is that I have been to the Mairie with the form duly filled in, but she gave it back to me saying they cant stamp it till I have got classification, so i sent my OH down, and they said the same they won't take the form and stamp it so duly gave it back to my OH!

Well after the awful EDF bill I got this morning, I decided to go ahead with advertising as got to get some money in, but of course Im not so called legal as they wont stamp the flaming form!! So i'm a bit buggered there!

I do understand what you are saying. Just because he/she has a title "Mairie" doesn't mean they understand all the rules and regulations. We had a similar problem with our "Titre de Sejour" when we first moved here.

What I would do is send the form, duly completed, to the Mairie's office by recorded delivery post. If they send the form back to you or refuse to sign/stamp it that is their problem. To be quite honest not everyone knows that you have to inform the Mairie that you have holiday rental property. Two or three I have spoken to in this area have not completed the form and have no intention of doing so. It's not exactly a hanging offense!

Quetion for Auraucaria.

Did the departmental inspection require you have to have all the diagnostiques carried out for your gite(s)?

Take a chill pill Jay, around here I think very few have registered with their Mairie, I mean if you are already hiding an income you are not going to go running to the Mairie to pay the tax de sejour are you?

OK - loosing the will to live on this one now.

Just take a look at the Service-Public website link here:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2043.xhtml

Essentially you MUST declare your classified gite (meublé de tourisme) activity to your mairie. Additionally, you can apply for an official classification IF YOU WANT TO - (a must to qualify for the more advantageous micro-bic tax regime).

The simple mairie declaration form (Cefra 14004*1) is on the above link - just send it to your mairie recorded delivery with delivery receipt. Whether they want it or not is irrelevant. The legal onus is on you to declare it as already stated.

If you want to apply for an official classification you can do it on-line from the link above.

Oh and just a note on the paltry Taxe de Séjour - it's to support tourism in your area - so just hand it over at the end of the season! You local tourist office will give you all the forms.

Simon :-)

[quote user="Chancer"]

Quetion for Auraucaria.

Did the departmental inspection require you have to have all the diagnostiques carried out for your gite(s)?

[/quote]

Chancer - as I have no idea what "all the diagnostiques" might be, I suppose the answer must be "no".

Certainly didn't include anything like looking into the septic tank or checking the electrics (beyond seeing that the lights turned on an off, and that there were plug points in each room).

Thanks for the confirmation!

What I meant was did he ask to see a diagnostic certificate for presence of lead and one for the energy performance rating, all rental properties are now supposed to have one, there is no-one to check but often these organisations busy themselves with finding new hoops for you to jump through and so that you have to pay them to verify that you have jumped through them.

Sadly its only a question of time methinks [:(]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Thanks for the confirmation!

What I meant was did he ask to see a diagnostic certificate for presence of lead and one for the energy performance rating, all rental properties are now supposed to have one, there is no-one to check but often these organisations busy themselves with finding new hoops for you to jump through and so that you have to pay them to verify that you have jumped through them.

Sadly its only a question of time methinks [:(]

[/quote]

I see - a bit like buying/selling then - lead, asbestos, termites, septic tank, energy rating? Categorically they weren't interested.

They did want us to give all our visitors a leaflet telling them how to be ecological: they should turn lights off when they don't need them, turn down the heating, drink tap water, buy local produce, have showers rather than baths, take a basket when they go shopping, and change gear at 2000 rpm (petrol) and 2500 (diesel). This seemed a bit like tokenism, but as they can hardly check whether we are giving out their leaflet we told them we would.

Thanks for that, its reassuring and I will see in time whether my contrôle passes like yours.

Its all pointless hoop jumping, no renter is going to care what the energy rating is when its me that pays for it!

Now if I were opening one of these knit your own yoghurt back to nature eco-yurt places it would be different.

Could I just say that You do not need to be classified AND you do not fill out the declaration form at your maire UNLESS you are !

ie if you are unclassified you do not fill out the declaration at the maire

The form is a declaration that you are classified that is why maires are refusing the form from people who are not classified because they do not need to fill it in.

This is stated 'in writing' in the booklet issued by the conseil general.

I went to a meeting last night run by the tourisme office of the conseil general of La Rochelle - our regional head office.

They confirmed what I posted before that a 'meublés de tourisme' is a classified property

An unclassified meublés or unclassified gite DOES NOT need to complete the registration at the maire.

The reason for the declaration is that the new laws brought in with the new classification system, also brought in the opening up of the 'classification' market, so that if you want a classification you do not have to go through your prefecture, there are private companies who have been given accreditation. This means that the prefecture no longer 'know' who has been classified with the new classification so they need you to declare at the maire that you have been classified. The maire then forwards the information to the prefecture once a year.

• 1 month later...
I've just read through all this again as we are getting close to opening and am still none the wiser! I still don't know where to go AE or micro...

We already get French Healthcare as my main income is in the UK, where I pay my NI. I am resident in France though. My family gets its healthcare via me. Does that mean that we should go for the Micro regime after being registered and classified and just pay tax on 29% and no cotisations? Or do we go AE where someone has mentioned that you just pay 13% total in arrears on what the gite would earn?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm still confused.

I have a gite (a house) registered with the Mairie but nowhere else. I receive the UK pension so we're OK for healthcare. I declared the gite income under 5OP and so 50% is taxed.

Is this right?