Beds in Gites

Sashabel

When we used to let out our house, that was exactly what it was: OUR house. OUR bed, OUR bedding, OUR mattress. We didn't buy anything we hadn't used, or hadn't the intention of using ourselves. If (and no-one said so) there were guests who considered that what we offered was sub-standard or unsuitable, then no-one said so, and the feedback we did get about the comfort and facilities on offer was all positive. I'm sure that doesn't mean there weren't guests who found things didn't meet their own requirements, or measure up to the level of their own home comforts, but it would seem nothing was bad enough to elicit any actual complaints. We have a double bed at home, we have a double bed in France. We're not large people, nor are we below average height, but it suits us. We've never even considered getting a kingsized bed. I didn't realise until I read this post that it has become such an essential item for so many people.[:D] Not once did any potential guest ask me about bed sizes, and I had lengthy exchanges, either by phone or e-mail, with every one of them. Even the most demanding of guests with whom I spoke never once mentioned bed size as a deal breaker. Even the person who wanted to exact dimensions of my sofa never mentioned beds. None of the people who needed a room-by-room photomontage of my entire property asked about bed sizes, nor any of those who came with a family big enough to require the use of every available sleeping facility in the property. Maybe I was just lucky....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Cendrillon"][quote user="Citroënesque"]Out of my last four holidays (two a year) in France (and staying, it has to be said in 'pricey' English/expat owned gîtes) with only one exception, the mattresses/beds have been of poor quality (resulting in back ache, poor sleep, not to mention creaks and groans from the actual apparatus!), while almost everything else has been exemplary... Surely it is not beyond the wit of gîte owners to understand that one of the main causes (confirmed by conversations with fellow 'gîters') for not re-booking is the standard of night's sleep? I am not too fussy, and I am not too large a frame (wife would argue otherwise), but a Kingsize is minimum now. Failing that, twins that can be zipped together...

A good mattress, -  a happy compromise between soft and hard (like a plank of wood!) - a minimum if 5' width and a non-creaking frame... is it really too much to ask? Times is hard, I know, but I am not alone in reluctantly choosing to not re-book this year ONLY because the beds are rubbish...

[/quote]

I do hope that everyone who has had bad experiences re. the beds (and other problems) has passed on their comments to the owners concerned. It's all very well to grumble on here but that won't get rid of the problems that have been experienced.

[/quote]

We did, on every occasion. But in a diplomatic, well-intentioned way. It's always difficult, but unless the owner knows how can it improve?

Fleas in the bed, on the otherhand... [:(]

Do Hôtels in France or the UK consider that a king size bed is the absolute minimum?

If yes then I need to move with the times as I have just fitted a 4 foot double hideaway bed because the gap betwen the sloping roof of les combles and the chimney would not allow a 4 foot 6 one.

I bought the mattress in the UK as I am reliably informed that the French stopped using 1.3 meter ones in granny's day, it turned out to be 1.3M not 4 foot which caused me loads of grief.

If the hôtels only have 4 foot or 1.4M double beds then whey do people consider a king size to be the minimum for a gite or are gites supposed to be far more luxurious than hôtels?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]When we used to let out our house, that was exactly what it was: OUR house. OUR bed, OUR bedding, OUR mattress. We didn't buy anything we hadn't used, or hadn't the intention of using ourselves. If (and no-one said so) there were guests who considered that what we offered was sub-standard or unsuitable, then no-one said so, and the feedback we did get about the comfort and facilities on offer was all positive. I'm sure that doesn't mean there weren't guests who found things didn't meet their own requirements, or measure up to the level of their own home comforts, but it would seem nothing was bad enough to elicit any actual complaints. We have a double bed at home, we have a double bed in France. We're not large people, nor are we below average height, but it suits us. We've never even considered getting a kingsized bed. I didn't realise until I read this post that it has become such an essential item for so many people.[:D] Not once did any potential guest ask me about bed sizes, and I had lengthy exchanges, either by phone or e-mail, with every one of them. Even the most demanding of guests with whom I spoke never once mentioned bed size as a deal breaker. Even the person who wanted to exact dimensions of my sofa never mentioned beds. None of the people who needed a room-by-room photomontage of my entire property asked about bed sizes, nor any of those who came with a family big enough to require the use of every available sleeping facility in the property. Maybe I was just lucky....
[/quote]

Thank you, Betty, for mentioning the unmentionable!

We, too, have a bog standard double size bed and, when the neighbours called to give our place the once-over, they mentioned that our double bed looked "out of scale" with the size of the room and that a bigger bed would look much better.

But, what the hell, although I had a king-size with Husband No 1, with Husband No 2, it's just nicer to be closer together!

There again, whilst on holiday, I don't mind double size or indeed twins.  It's only for a week or two after all and I can't understand what all the fuss is about.

If you wanted everything to be just as you would have at home, why bother going away?

BTW, some gites we've stayed at have far more "facilities" than we have in our own house (eg, dishwasher, swimming pool, etc) and it just leaves us completely bemused and wondering how they could afford to offer so much for so little dosh?