Beds in Gites

Sashabel

Have just been searching through all the holiday rental websites looking for a couple of gites/cottages for 2012 and noticed how many of them still only offer double beds. I don't know of anyone (couples) who sleep in double beds any more. A standard kingsize is the smallest most couples go for nowadays.

Having trawled through what seems like hundreds of descriptions, I have shortlisted all those who offer a kingsize bed in their double bedroom and will be contacting them for prices & availability.

I couldn't think of anything worse than spending a fortnight back in a tiny double bed with my partner and neither could he.

Come on, gite owners, consider upgrading and upsizing!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, many old houses don't have bedrooms big enough for HUGE beds so it's not just a question of buying bigger beds, one might well have to move walls!

How much more would you be prepared to pay for a kingsize?

We go to France 2 or 3 times a year and so far we've never stayed in a gite that can't fit a kingsize (or even a superking) in a bedroom. A kingsize bed is only 6 inches wider than a double!!

Why should you charge more for a 5 foot bed than and 4' 6" one?

Why do some Gite owners think the beds should be as old and as quaint as the buildings they are in .. I have been fobbed off with beds that I suspect the Gite owners themselves would never want to sleep in . We moved onto a sofa bed in the lounge of one gite I rented the bed was so uncomfortable ....How many decades do Gite owners think they can get out of a bed ? Bring on the kingsize !

we have many regular guests who stay in our gites every year - 1 of the main reasons is because of the bed quality....our family gite has a 2 metre bed & for all our rooms in both gites & B&B we have supplied top quality mattresses....2 things guests will remember you for are the beds & the breakfast............

Glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines, Frederick.

In one gite we stayed in, the mattress was so old and stained that we took ourselves off the the nearest Decathlon and bought inflateable mattresses to sleep on. We pushed the old bed to one side (cleaned under it - that's another story!) and slept on the floor on our very comfy inflateables.

A good nights sleep and not having to get up at the crack of dawn is a fundamental part of any holiday. If the Chambre d'hote owners have recognised this, why haven't the large majority of gite owners?

[quote user="Sashabel"]In one gite we stayed in, 

A good nights sleep and not having to get up at the crack of dawn is a fundamental part of any holiday. If the Chambre d'hote owners have recognised this, why haven't the large majority of gite owners?[/quote]

One gite........large margority of gite.......Hardly a representative sample.

Quite surprised at those sizes, wondered what on earth they meant and then realised they are in inches. IF I talk about beds, then  I always talk in cms or feet and inches. Does anyone else think in inches for beds?

My dull brain today is because I am really really tired. Could do with a siesta that I won't get.[:(]

To clarify in cms (width x length):

A standard UK double measures 135 x 190

A standard UK king - 150 x 200

A standard UK superking - 183 x 198

What we call a king size in the UK is called a queen size in USA and Australia

Ikea beds are a little larger again:

double 140 x 200

king 160 x 200

superking 190 x 200

Thanks to information received to day will be upgrading our bed in future ads. Mind you according to Wiki Uk king size is 150x200cm and in Continental Europe 160x200cm. I suppose to avoid confusion you should say in your ad which continent's size you are using.

Well, we do have king size beds in our gite (160x200) and have also new quality matresses for all our beds! The bed itself is also new and modern btw...as is all the other furniture in our gite :)

So you should have found us on one of those sites :)

fully booked this year, already have 2 weeks booked for next year!

I also agree that a king size is the smallest I would ever sleep in :)

Bedding is different sizes all over europe too. Quilt sizes and their covers included in this, never mind the sheets and pillow cases!

I remember some posters lamenting that their quilts were too small for the covers. I have recently unpacked all my bedding and everything fits as it should, where it should. If anyone buys any quilt or cover that is not the size advertised, all I can say is it take it back.

[:-))]Over the years I have accumulated a lot of bedding, you'd think I had had a b&b and that was just with friends and family visiting.

We have double beds - but that's because the beds are antique, period pieces - with new (top end) sommiers and mattresses of course.  Unfortunately, they didn't have king size beds in the 18th century.

Edit - we are both quite slim so sleep quite comfortably in a double bed.   Maybe you just need to go on a diet? [;-)]

Mrs R51

Come now, I know plenty of thin people who like a big bed, so size has nothing to do with this at all.

All I know is that on holiday, it is the comfort of the bed as long as it is double or bigger that is most important. You could put me on a monster size bed, but if I cannot get comfy, what would the point be.

So I believe in quality of the mattresses over size of the bed.

Incidentally I am not small, but can manage a double bed perfectly well with another person in it!