barbecues

Gemonimo

Real BBQ, middle-of-the-range, with charcoal provided (which they replace) and they usually collect dry wood on their walks or from around from the garden, where we keep it piled up for hedgehogs and insects...

I bought a Weber charcoal BBQ two years ago, originally for the gite, but decided to keep it for us and we eventually bought a cheaper, cast-iron BBQ for the gite.

Thanks for the info... I think a real barbecue is probably the best but I did wonder whether guests would prefer the ease of just pressing 'ignite' rather than all the hassle of lighting charcoal or wood. But then, all the hassle is part of the experience, n'est ce pas[:D]

[quote user="Clair"]    ... a Weber charcoal BBQ ....  [/quote]

Now that's a barbie ! I was in Harare around Xmas time last year and the people I visited organised the usual 'braai' (short for braaivleiss which is the africaan for grilled (burnt[;-)]) meat!)

The lady of the house detailed the man of the house (who detailed the houseboy) to get the 2 Webbers out to cook the Boxing Day lunch : 1 huge ham and 1 huge piece of beef rump. It was delicious !! Those 2 huge pieces of meat cooked in no time, they were very tender and had a lovely subtle smokey flavour. No salt, no pepper, no nothing else to disguise the meat.

The kids at the party were treated to BBQ-ed bananas and these were just delicious. Just plonk the nana on the grill and let it cook until the skin is well black, turn occasionally, transfer to a plate and slit the skin to open up the melted nana, sprinkle some lime juice and demerara/dark brown sugar.... Heaven !!

I had never seen these contraptions before but I think a wise investment for a good BBQ in a rainy UK. At least you can pretend you have had a BBQ this weekend when back in the office [:D]

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Thanks for the info... I think a real barbecue is

probably the best but I did wonder whether guests would prefer the ease

of just pressing 'ignite' rather than all the hassle of lighting

charcoal or wood. But then, all the hassle is part of the experience,

n'est ce pas[:D][/quote]

In our case, a gas BBQ would have meant yet another gas bottle (we already have 2 in use and 1 spare), and I have to agree that collecting wood is something the younger guests seem to enjoy!

[quote user="LAiffricaine"]

Now that's a barbie![/quote]

... and that's why I decided it was just too good for casual use! [:D]

[quote user="LAiffricaine"]

I had never seen these contraptions before but I think a wise investment for a good BBQ in a rainy UK. At least you can pretend you have had a BBQ this weekend when back in the office [:D]

[/quote]

What a BBQ with a lid [:P]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]  ... a tatty half-oil drum affair ...  [/quote]

Ever walked around Brixton market any of you ?

I visited my youngest (who lives and works in London) a couple of weekends ago. What a treat !  Every 50 yards or so, there was a oil drum BBQ doing very brisk business indeed selling jerk chicken and grilled corn on the cob.  These oil drums were somewhat quite sophiticated compared to their 'ancestors' we had seen in Zimbabwe. These Brixton ones were purposely fabricated, with a proper hinged lid, a couple of sorts of 'shelves' inside and little chimneys poking out of the side for surplus smoke to escape. None of that recycling an actual oil drum malarky of Africa ...

[quote]

None of that recycling an actual oil drum malarky of Africa ...

[/quote]

Ours once held aviation gasoline manufactured (or at least marketed) by Agip. Good thick steel it is too. I gave the other half to a friend in exchange for welding some angle iron legs on to it. It is a fine affair that has enough grill space to cook for a big crowd, but it is starting to show its age.