Gas Appliances Certification Required?

Deb87

Hello to all am new to the forum, so here is my first post.

We have a rental property which has a water heater boiler and a gas fire, both of which are supplied via bottled gas.

Are we required to have the boiler serviced annually and to have a certificate issued to cover this?

Wanted to know if required for both legal and insurance purposes as property is a holiday rental.

Any information is appreciated.

Regards

Welcome to the forum Deb87.

I don't know if anything is required annually but if I was renting out I'd feel obliged to make my rental as safe as possible for guests.

Look on it as an expense like advertising or cleaning and put it in your blurb, thus illustrating what a great place it'll be to rent.  [:D]

[quote user="Deb87"]Hello to all am new to the forum, so here is my first post.

[/quote]

Welcome to the madhouse ...

[quote user="Deb87"]We have a rental property which has a water heater boiler and a gas fire, both of which are supplied via bottled gas.

Are we required to have the boiler serviced annually and to have a certificate issued to cover this?[/quote]

IIRC, the answer (somewhat surprisingly perhaps) is NO, in relation to your obligations as a landlord, unless the installation is more than 15 years old, in which case you are required to have it certificated every 3 years.

[quote user="Deb87"]Wanted to know if required for both legal and insurance purposes as property is a holiday rental.[/quote]

From an insurance point of view, I would not expect there to be anything specific in relation to a gas installation other than a general, non-specific obligation to maintain it (and the electrical system) in good order.

However, as Benjamin says, it would be good practice to get the system checked over - you really would not wish to be responsible for the deaths of tenants due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Bear in mind that problems can arise from the way in which these appliances are used - eg blocking vents, covering heaters, etc - and so you might want to think about providing a mains-powered CO detector.

Regards

Pickles

Thank you Pickles. Yes, considering all the other requirements it is surprising that newer gas appliances are not regulated for gite owners. Reassuring for us that the reason we couldn't find any formal guidance, is because there is none as such. But yes agree with both yourself and Benjamin that we will do our part to ensure system is safe.

If you are using bottled gas, one thing to be careful of is the life of the hose connector you are using. They all have a date on them (although you can buy quite expensive everlasting ones now) but if something happened and the gas connector was out of date, you might have problems with the insurance.