taxe fonciere / habitation exemption

euro

As a gite owner i have what i consider to be high taxes ( the 2 combined are nudging 4K)

upon inspection / investigation it appears the size in sq metres is a major factor in the calculation.

i accept and agree with the general prniciple of paying into my commune who provide services etc.( although as a non resident dont really get to enoy them !)

so the fonciere part i can live with.

its the other tranche that is bugging me as its a lot of extra tax for the same services / commune.when i queried it with the tresor they said if the properties are habitable ie with electric / furniture the a tax is levied - my point was even if i was a resident i can only live in one property at a time ( the site comprises of three properties) therfore the taxe should be reduced to reflect this but obviously they wouldnt accept this.

so i am keen to learn if there is a way to avoid paying quite so much - i did speak to an accountant some 3/4 years ago who suggested the habitation element of the taxe would be exemptable for anyone running a business.

But i dont actually know if this is correct or not so any advice appreciated.

its pretty annoying especially as the number of rubbish dumpsters has been reduced dramatically along with recycle facilities meaning my holidaymakers have to travel further to get rid of rubbish etc.

there is a library which i cant use / my property is en campagne so no streetlighting - i could go on !

it just feels like we are being squeezed dry for having more sq metres of property which do not use more services.

That means that you have two houses that are both habitable?

I would think that they both should have taxes on them. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Second home owners aren't exempt, that I do know and they never use much of the services either.

LOL services in rural France, never expected much and that was just what we got, not much and we always paid a lot. 

Services in the rural UK are the same.  Back there we had no pavements, no street lighting, no mains drainage, one bin collection every 2 weeks etc etc but paid exactly the same (twice what we do here, 7 years later) as the people in the town 4 miles away.   It's not a French thing, that's country life for you, sorry.

If you have guests in the other house then presumably they use local services?  Do they drive on the C or D roads?  Do you expect the pompiers to turn up if either house catches fire?  I'm not sure that you can really expect to pay less than any other second home owner. 

Don't know if the following will make you feel a bit more resigned to paying your bills.

In our village, there is a couple who own a one-bedroomed house with one bathroom and they also have a maison d'amis that has one bedroom with "en suite" facilities.  In other words, they have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms 

Because the 2 parts of their property are not joined together but are at right-angles across a courtyard, it's counted as TWO houses with the result that their TF (and I suppose also the ir TH as they are a lot wealthier than we are!) is nearly 200 euros more than ours even though we have one bedroom more than they have.

I don't know about gites but some gite owners might come on here and advise you. 

[quote user="euro"]...

its pretty annoying especially as the number of rubbish dumpsters has been reduced dramatically along with recycle facilities meaning my holidaymakers have to travel further to get rid of rubbish etc.

there is a library which i cant use / my property is en campagne so no streetlighting - i could go on !

it just feels like we are being squeezed dry for having more sq metres of property which do not use more services.[/quote]

Our local tax bills (house + gite) pay all sorts of things we will never benefit from. The last endeavour is the village sewage system, but it will never reach our hamlet; neither will we ever have underground telephone and electric cables, yet that's what my local taxes pay for; the one and only street lamp was installed only last year;... and don't get me started on the village school!  [:)]

As a gite owner, you may be interested in this thread regarding exemption of the taxe d'habitation in zone rurale de revitalisation...

• 5 months later...