buying a gite business.

smudge

Hi

We are looking to move to france to purchase a property with a gite to suppliment our pension. The price range is from 50000 to 200000 euros.

We would prefer to buy in Brittany we are looking for some help/advice as to if this is possible within this price range.

Any advice would be welcome.

Smudge

Hate to rain on your parade but at the moment,Brittany is saturated with gîtes to let,not only by brits but every other nationality you can think of and its not been a very good two years for letting either if you see the figures end of each year. I suggest you do plenty of homework and NOT BUY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SUPPLEMENT YOUR INCOME,you will never make enough once you have paid out your charges,taxes,running costs and advertising etc. €50,000 will only buy a ruin here or a very small cottage which needs modernising, the days of cheap doer-uppers for that price have long gone and if you do find one, you will end up spending twice that price to get it into a good state and it will still only be small. There are tons and tons of gîte complexes for sale here in Bretagne and you have to ask yourself why! I have been on the local tourist board of admin since 2001 and have seen the gradual decline and I live in a tourist seaside village area.