Non resident gite owners

Aly

• 4 weeks later...
I'm still non resident for tax purposes and I run the B&B as a non resident auto entrepreneur , then send my french tax bill invoice to my English Tax accountant who does the necessary adjustments because of the dual tax treaty, pretty simple stuff as I pay a French accountant to make my declaration then forward the info on to the UK, one less think for me to worry about and 120€ well spent!!

[quote user="Babbles"]I'm still non resident for tax purposes and I run the B&B as a non resident auto entrepreneur[/quote]

Really? I was under the impression that the statute of autoentrepreneur is not available to non-residents. The responses that I have seen reported (on the internet, so pinch of salt at the ready!) by people who have asked the service des non-residents are that yes, you can continue to be registered if you were registered and then left the country, but that you lose the tax advantages. I'm not sure what the tax advantages would be in your situation ...

At the moment the majority of my income is from the UK business so its best to use my tax allowance there and makes for very simple accounts in France and yes you can be a non resident auto entrepreneur, I didn't think you could but my account assures me you can.

If I want to up the drinks license to be able to charge for wine separately I then can't be an auto entrepreneur but when I'm full time here in France that's the time to make the switch , also when there is a divorce settlement. but right now we're being as tax efficient as we can be

And forgot to say it makes for big savings on accountancy fees

[quote user="Babbles"]At the moment the majority of my income is from the UK business so its best to use my tax allowance there and makes for very simple accounts in France and yes you can be a non resident auto entrepreneur, I didn't think you could but my account assures me you can.

If I want to up the drinks license to be able to charge for wine separately I then can't be an auto entrepreneur but when I'm full time here in France that's the time to make the switch , also when there is a divorce settlement. but right now we're being as tax efficient as we can be

And forgot to say it makes for big savings on accountancy fees[/quote]

Thats really interesting with the drinks license. Is it also possible to do Micro Bic as a non resident. I am impressed how do you manage to run a B&B as a non resident.

[quote user="Babbles"]You don't pay social contributions, just the 20% non resident tax, when you make your UK declaration the french tax paid is taken into consideration of your earnings in the UK. so you're not taxed twice.[/quote]

Since non-residents are subject to the social charges w.e.f 1st Jan this year (2012) (and were not subject to social charges before), is there any advantage in being an autoentrepreneur rather than just non-resident? Or is the advantage really to do with maintaining your AE registration in the system for when you return to France full-time? (Apologies for the inquisition!)

[quote user="Babbles"]You don't pay social contributions, just the 20% non resident tax, when you make your UK declaration the french tax paid is taken into consideration of your earnings in the UK. so you're not taxed twice.[/quote]

Yes I see that that is how the tax works, however I'm sorry to be dim but I don't see how that is classed as Auto Entrepreneur? The rules of the AE regime are, AFAIK, quite inflexible - if you are registered as an AE you are required to make your trimestrielle declaration and pay your % cotisations on that figure, and if you have opted to pay tax then that is taken as well, at the fixed rate. In return you get your carte vitale etc. Are you saying there is a whole different AE scheme for non-residents, with different rules? Could you provide a link, please?

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Babbles"]You don't pay social contributions, just the 20% non resident tax, when you make your UK declaration the french tax paid is taken into consideration of your earnings in the UK. so you're not taxed twice.[/quote]
Since non-residents are subject to the social charges w.e.f 1st Jan this year (2012) (and were not subject to social charges before),  (Apologies for the inquisition!)
[/quote]

Where is this official text please re social charges from 1st Jan, I take it you mean CSG etc.

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Babbles"]You don't pay social contributions, just the 20% non resident tax, when you make your UK declaration the french tax paid is taken into consideration of your earnings in the UK. so you're not taxed twice.[/quote]

Since non-residents are subject to the social charges w.e.f 1st Jan this year (2012) (and were not subject to social charges before),  (Apologies for the inquisition!)

[/quote]

Where is this official text please re social charges from 1st Jan, I take it you mean CSG etc.[/quote]

It is in the project de loi rectificative des finances 2012

http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/14/projets/pl0071.asp

and specifically article 25 ...

http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/14/projets/pl0071.asp#P1676_126289

The text has been debated by the senate and was adopted on the 27th July, apparently (see: http://www.fiscalonline.com/Loi-de-Finances-rectificative-pour,367.html)

And yes, it concerns CSG and CRDS.

Many thanks Pickles, I had tried to find this myself, but ofcourse I hadn't been asking the right question.[Www] It always helps nezpah!

I needed to know if we were affected, but we are not in this particular case.