Telephone for guests

Frank

I believe you can lock your telephone to prevent guests making intenational call when they are renting your house? Does anyone know the formula for this? I have tried France telecom website to no availa. I know you can phone France telecom and ask them to lock it but I used to set it myself and have lost the instructiosn??

I haven't heard of this and I've searched the Orange website (which is poor for finding info) but I can only see a facility for suspending/reopening a line for a "ligne secondaire".  You didn't say, but is yours a primary residence or not?

EDIT  Another search has turned up "Sélection Modulable d'Appels" but so far the links haven't worked.

EDIT  I said the Orange site is difficult to find your way around! Try this link: http://assistance.orange.fr/les-options-de-restriction-de-la-selection-modulable-d-appels-4087.php

Another EDIT http://boutique.orange.fr/doc/contrat2318.pdf

It's accessed via 3000 apparently, details in the last link above. New to me.

When I was last over I tried to switch the line secondary on via the 3000 service and it didn't work so O/H in UK phoned the France Telecon helpline and got it switched on from their end. Apparently the switch on and suspend no longer works from the handset. I wonder if it is the same for locking and what if the guests learn the code:?

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Théière"] Apparently the switch on and suspend no longer works from the handset. [/quote]

Had a bit of a panic attack ( well a bit concerned) when I read this bit. Just before we left last Wednesday 25th July we used 3000 from our phone and requested the line be suspended.

Just been to my account and it shows line as suspended.

So it still works.

I think we are talking about two different things here. AFAI understand there is a system for ligne residence secondaire where the phone connection can be turned off completely while you are away.

The other system is the one we have where you can select which calls are allowed. When we let the house we set our phone (with the buttons) so that our clients can only make local calls and receive any incoming calls.

Unfortunately I don't have the  hand book with me.

It's some thing like this

* (own code) * (code for which mode you chose) #

[quote user="Théière"]Steve, when you say requested, was that a verbal request or just a button press?[/quote]

Theiere,

It is an automatic voice recognition system, I take it you have registered with the 3000 system, if so when you connect it recognises your number and you don't have to enter passwords etc.

What we do..... phone the number, they ask a question, "say residence secondaire"   then they ask what do you want to do  we say" suspendre" then they ask you to confirm "you say oui" its then done.

Well the wife does the talking, sometimes we have to say the request a couple of times as she is speaking Scottish French

There is a flow sheet what to do on the Orange France web site it is in both English and French, bit of a pain to find but if you enter 3000 that should start you.

When we want to restart I usually do it on the internet before we leave the UK,  its up and running when we get there, there's no reason it can't be suspended when you get back to the UK

Thanks Steve, will look into that, when I posted it was because we used to enter 3000 and then a number to either start or suspend it, that is the service they have now done away with I believe. Handy to know there is another way as we are phoning the British speaking helpline and that can take a while to get through.

Ok Theiere done a bit more digging

http://assistance.orange.fr/telephone-fixe/votre-compte-gerer-votre-compte-avec-le-3000-compte_3000.php

Above is the page I got to about the 3000 system. If this link doesn't work I found it by going to Orange fr site, assistance page, click FIXE tab, ( not internet or mobile) slide mouse hand over "votre compte, votre facture" stuff for 3000 there.

You will have to register your landline number with Orange and give them a passnumber, this is only needed if you use the service from another phone as your number will be registered with them. Be blowed if I can find the English translation pages on how to do it but I have hard copies, in English and French if you run into any problem.

Good luck