15% Social charges on non resident unfurnished lettings -

Aly

It's vague!

Basically it is furnished if the contract says it is..

http://www.pap.fr/conseils/location/quels-meubles-pour-une-location-meublee/a1409

Il n'existe pas de définition légale de la location meublée.

Cependant, certains critères déterminés par la jurisprudence peuvent

permettre de qualifier le logement de "meublé" (par exemple, meubles,

literie, gazinière ou plaques chauffantes, réfrigérateur, ustensiles de

cuisines...).

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F10825.xhtml

Social charges:

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/15296-non-residents-et-csg-plus-values-immobilieres-et-revenus-fonciers

http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/14/dossiers/deuxieme_collectif_2012.asp   Article 25

To show how the 15,5% is made up:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2329.xhtml

Thankyou Norman that is very useful. What I was searching for was a explanation as to how social charges are applied to thoese who have furnished

and unfurnished lettings. I read that for non residents who rent an unfurnished property they would have to now pay the 15% Social charge, but for furnished lettings the rate would remain as before Hollandes changes ie no social charges. I need a French explanation of this if possibe.

[quote user="Aly"]I read that for non residents who rent an unfurnished property they would have to now pay the 15% Social charge, but for furnished lettings the rate would remain as before Hollandes changes ie no social charges. I need a French explanation of this if possibe.

[/quote]

I do not think that that is correct. The text can be found here. Basically it says that revenues foncier (which would be unfurnished), BIC and BNC (which I think would include LMNP) are all subject to the "social charges".

I agree with Pickles. In Article 25

"Assujettissement

des revenus immobiliers des non-résidents aux autres prélèvements

sociaux (CRDS, prélèvement social et contributiions additionnelles"

there is no distinction made between furnished and unfurnished, which in any case would be hard to do given what was said in my second link

"Il n'existe pas de définition légale de la location meublée"

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Aly"]I read that for non residents who rent an unfurnished property they would have to now pay the 15% Social charge, but for furnished lettings the rate would remain as before Hollandes changes ie no social charges. I need a French explanation of this if possibe.

[/quote]

I do not think that that is correct. The text can be found here. Basically it says that revenues foncier (which would be unfurnished), BIC and BNC (which I think would include LMNP) are all subject to the "social charges".

[/quote]

The word Foncier - which as you state refers to `unfurnisehed `seems to be where the tax is to be applied. But what of furnished lettings? Most of us with gites or holiday lets offer accomodation as furnished. I find much of the French text so blurred

This link seems to provide agood explanation See lower part of blog

[quote user="Aly"][quote user="Pickles"]I do not think that that is correct. The text can be found here. Basically it says that revenues foncier (which would be unfurnished), BIC and BNC (which I think would include LMNP) are all subject to the "social charges".[/quote]

The word Foncier - which as you state refers to `unfurnisehed `seems to be where the tax is to be applied. But what of furnished lettings? Most of us with gites or holiday lets offer accomodation as furnished. I find much of the French text so blurred

This link seems to provide agood explanation See lower part of blog

[/quote]

Furnished lettings come under BNC - Benefices non-commerciaux - (which is why I mentioned LMNP - loueur en meublé non-professionnel) or come under BIC (Benefices industriels et commerciaux) for LMP (Loueur en meublé professionnel) or gites, hotels etc.

Basically the answer to your question is that the legislation covers ALL types of lettings, as is clear if you look at the text of the Code de la securité social below: Part 1 lists all the various sources of income covered and then 1 bis adds that non-residents are also subject.

[quote]Article L136-6

I.-Les personnes physiques fiscalement domiciliées en France au sens de l'article 4 B du code général des impôts sont assujetties à

une contribution sur les revenus du patrimoine assise sur le montant net

retenu pour l'établissement de l'impôt sur le revenu, à l'exception de

ceux ayant déjà supporté la contribution au titre des articles L. 136-3, L. 136-4 et L. 136-7 :

a) Des revenus fonciers ;

b) Des rentes viagères constituées à titre onéreux ;

c) Des revenus de capitaux mobiliers ;

d) (Abrogé)

e) Des plus-values, gains en capital et profits réalisés sur les

marchés à terme d'instruments financiers et de marchandises, ainsi que

sur les marchés d'options négociables, soumis à l'impôt sur le revenu à

un taux proportionnel, de même que des distributions définies aux 7 et 8

du II de l'article 150-0 A du code général des impôts, des avantages définis aux 6 et 6 bis de l'article 200 A du même code et du gain défini à l'article 150 duodecies du même code ;

e bis) Des plus-values et des créances mentionnées au I et au II de l'article 167 bis du code général des impôts ;

e ter) Les gains nets placés en report d'imposition en application

des I et II de l'article 150-0 D bis du code général des impôts ;

f) De tous revenus qui entrent dans la catégorie des bénéfices

industriels et commerciaux, des bénéfices non commerciaux ou des

bénéfices agricoles au sens du code général des impôts, à l'exception de

ceux qui sont assujettis à la contribution sur les revenus d'activité

et de remplacement définie aux articles L. 136-1 à L. 136-5.

Pour la détermination de l'assiette de la contribution, il n'est pas fait application des abattements mentionnés au I de l'article 125-0 A, à l'article 150-0 D ter et aux 2° et 5° du 3 de l'article 158 du code général des impôts, ainsi que, pour les

revenus de capitaux mobiliers, des dépenses effectuées en vue de

l'acquisition et de la conservation du revenu.

Il n'est pas fait application à la contribution du dégrèvement ou

de la restitution prévus à l'expiration d'un délai de huit ans au 2 du

VII de l'article 167 bis du code général des impôts et du dégrèvement

prévu au premier alinéa du 4 du VIII du même article.

Sont également soumis à cette contribution :

1° (Abrogé)

2° Les gains nets exonérés en application du 3 du I de l'article

150-0 A du même code ainsi que les plus-values exonérées en application

du 3 du I et du 7 du III du même article ;

3° Les plus-values à long terme exonérées en application de l'article 151 septies A du même code ;

4° Les revenus, produits et gains exonérés en application du II de l'article 155 B du même code.

I bis. - Sont également assujetties à la contribution les

personnes physiques qui ne sont pas fiscalement domiciliées en France au

sens de l'article 4 B du code général des impôts à raison du montant

net des revenus, visés au a du I de l'article 164 B du même code, retenu

pour l'établissement de l'impôt sur le revenu.[/quote]

Revenus foncier

• montant net après imputation des déficits fonciers ;
  • revenu "micro-foncier" après abattement forfaitaire pour charges et imputation des déficits fonciers des années antérieures.

From 

http://doc.impots.gouv.fr/aida/brochures_ir2012/ud_003.html

Given the inaccuracy of some of her statements 'President Hollande’s recent remarks in London implying that the new tax

will not apply to holiday homes' He never said any such thing), and the fact that she is in the business of selling property (and ideas apparently)   I would take anything she says with a pinch of salt.

Certainly as a resident I have paid social charges on furnished long term lettings.

[quote user="NormanH"]Given the inaccuracy of some of her statements 'President Hollande’s recent remarks in London implying that the new tax

will not apply to holiday homes'
He never said any such thing), and the fact that she is in the business of selling property (and ideas apparently)   I would take anything she says with a pinch of salt.[/quote]

I think that the phrase "grasping at straws" comes to mind re the blogger.