Liability insurance for guests as opposed to general liabilty cover

Aly

As a non resident gite owner I was checking my insurance and understood that I had Liabilty cover but on clarifying this apparently my policy is general cover only and does not actually cover staying guests or damage caused by guests ie fire etc. The assumption is that guests in France use there own personal insurance in such situations, Seems a crazy practise.and what of non French guests or those that do not have insurance. Do people ask for copies  of guests insurance policies before taking bookings?

Does anyone know if its expensive to add specific guest liabilty to insurance? as opposed to general liabilty

Yes most French rentals ask for a copy of the renters assurance civile, any member of a family that lives in ahouse that is insured will have it, presumably others in different situations can subscribe to their own.

I dont know what French renters do when faced by a foreign client, juts take the risk I assume.

I can see the French insurers wanting to have knowledge of renters assurance civile, any damage is their responsibility after all, if they have had to pay out they will want to chase the other insurers, however to leave an insured high and dry if their place burns down seems crazy but nothing surprises me these days except that most French just accept these things unquestioningly.

Thanks for that we never asked to see guests policies in the past. I wonder how widely known this is amongst non French gite owners? All of our bookings go via GDF I wonder if they check.  I am trying to get a quote for cover. It seems that its possible to get Liabilty for guests if you insure your french property overseas. Daft I know?

• 2 weeks later...