After the duvets, the pillows.....

mint

Does anyone know where I can get good quality, FIRM pillows whose filling doesn't redistribute itself into lumps?

I'm fed up of buying pillows from different places (even from M & S that say "firm") and they are all rubbish after a few months' use.

I'd like standard sizes, say, 65 X 65 or standard rectangulars, whatever sizes those are.

I think it would have to be on-line as choices are not exactly wide in our small town.

I have also changed to them, the problem is that many if not most of them are much smaller than the standard pillows, even in Ikea the pillowcases they sell for them are far too big.

The one exception is when they are sold in Lidl they are proper sized.

Never seen them in French square size either, expect they would sell for at least €50 each if they do make them.

I think that memory foam would work, they are very firm and I cannot be doing with hard pillows now. We tried them once, and in summer in France, felt like I was sweating far more than usual. IF I had another I'd get some coolmax covers for it.

Strange isn't it, how we all like different pillows. I

have an all down pillow which yields as my head hits it and moulds

itself round my head and that suits me. It is lovely.

The Lidl shaped pillow I found to be much too hard it was like sleeping with your head on a rock.

We are all different and of course we will never all be happy with the same style pillow.  I have gone back to using the shaped pillow recommended by my chiropractor, it was pricey but it's been good.

Even memory foam comes in different grades.  On our new mattress we have memory foam on pocket springs as all foam is too hot in France. It feels quite firm at first but you soon sink into it as the foam molds around your shape.

What is the difference in shape etc between the chiro recommended one and the other shaped ones?

A little while ago I caved in and got a memory foam pillow.  Didn't like it at first but now wouldn't be without it.  One thing though, from the picture on the packaging and the description it looks like the higher bulge should be towards your neck.  I really can't get on with that but the other way round is fine

I have tried the Ikea shaped pillow, it's not bad but prefer the one from the chiropractor. Can't really say why, probably just a question of what suits the individual.

Sweets, we bought some square pillows from Hyper -U year before last and they seem to be good and quite firm.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]I have tried the Ikea shaped pillow, it's not bad but prefer the one from the chiropractor. Can't really say why, probably just a question of what suits the individual.

Sweets, we bought some square pillows from Hyper -U year before last and they seem to be good and quite firm.

[/quote]

Thanks, everybody, good advice from everyone, as usual [:)]

No Hyper-U anywhere near us; the nearest one is probably in Parthenay in Deux-Sèvres!

I HAVE seen some "normal" shaped foam ones in Gifi (don't know if they were memory foam or just common garden foam) so I might return and have another look.  Only problem is, I don't like Gifi as everthing looks cheap and insubtantial and you have to be careful that whatever you buy is fit for purpose.

You have picked a bad time of year to look for these, January when 'le blanc' sales are on is a good time.

I used to buy a lot from the Camif, but that was associated with our insurance and you never know might be with yours too? OR 3Suisses, LaRedoute, even Blanche Porte when I lived in France.

All the hyper markets in my old region have a good selection of pillows, don't they in yours?

I have the Lidl shaped memory foam pillow, with a quilted washable cover, i think it was only 10 euros. its quite firm, but it is the shape I particularly like. my husband hates it though, so everyone if different.

And you are right, its rather too small for standard pillow cases, there's quite a lot of loose fabric.

it is worth looking at the lidl site every now and then to see which offers are upcoming.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Just checked - the pillows, square or shaped are today's special in Lidl. So if you are interested go down within next couple of days or they will disappear for months.[/quote]

Thank you so very much.  I have been to the hospital with my OH today and we have a visitor tomorrow but I am determined to get down to Lidl tomorrow as I trust both their prices and their products.

Will be back to let you know whether I succeed in getting decent pillows tomorrow[:)]

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Just checked - the pillows, square or shaped are today's special in Lidl. So if you are interested go down within next couple of days or they will disappear for months.[/quote]

Thank you, I bought 2 square ones and 2 ergonomic @ 5€.99 each.  I opted for the cheaper ergonomic ones rather than the 10€ ones you mentioned.  I squeezed them all but I didn't think it was a 4-euro difference, maybe a 2-euro difference for the better cover!

Looking forward to trying the funny-shaped ones tonight [:)]

[quote user="Théière"]No pillow fights now [Www]

[/quote]

Teapot, thank you for your earlier recommendation.  Only took me about half an hour to get used to mine.

No pillow fights?  Oh well, better get out my knuckledusters then....................