what / who do we need to register with

Robin

Hi We moved to france this year and have taken on 2 gites that we now own. We registered with the local mairie, have insurance and the chimney certificate. We are already having guests staying but are now unsure if we are registered with the right people Can anyone give us bullet points of who we need to register with regarding who we will need to pay what too and how we go about it

Many thanks in advance.

We do not have any other jobs Also we have our son who is in his 20's living with us also not working

No more to do, let the busibodies come to you and tell you how much they want to bleed out of you, you have done the necessary.

There may be a tax de sejour to pay, but again just be aware of how much it is and what your liability will be, its for them to come to you for it.

Thank you Chancer

We just felt that everything was going too smoothly and dont want to take any risk from the authorities then someone mentioned they had been 18 months and were waiting for the bill for habitation tax i think they called it and we just thought OMG what/who else !!!

Thanks again

Taxe d'habitation is one of the 2 taxes you will pay as owner of your property. The other is taxe foncière. These are more or less equivalent to council tax in the UK. Whether you will pay any taxes for the gites I don't know; but someone who does should be along soon.

If you have only recently bought your property then it could be quite a while before you get either of these bills, but don't think that you have been forgotten. In France taxe bills can take a while to arrive.

Sue

As regards income tax, you won't need to do anything about that until next Apri/May, but don't forget about it. In France it's your personal responsibility to obtain the forms and make sure you submit them before the deadline, even if the tax office don't contact you.

True enough but in my case, finally declaring myself after 10 years and doing 3 retrospective déclarations did not ruffle any feathers.

Re the taxe de séjour, I spent literally hours doing internet searches to finally find that they had voted it in 18 months previously, I would never have known about it otherwise, the vast majority aren't paying it yet most of them probably are declared at their respective Mairies, I noticed that another hebergeur was charging a higher rate of TDS, it would not surprise me to find out after the fact that they have increased it, they are greedy and appalling communicators, searched for ages and found nothing, no doubt when I do my return this year they will tell me they want another 350% and no doubt most of the others will still not be paying it.

I thought the Mairie set its own taxe de séjour, Chancer? When I used to rent out a humble rural gîte, the secretary there told me how much it was. In fact it was such a piddling amount per adult and child per night that I absorbed the cost myself rather than demand it from the tenants. It might have been a more significant amount if the property had been in some fashionable seaside resort, I guess.

Angela

So a question, the OP said that they were insured, but when we have rented gites and appartments in France, it was our own french house insurance that covered that place while we were renting.

So does this french gite insurance actually cover during the renting time, or not. I suppose I need to know this if we are going to want to rent somewhere, as our UK house insurance will not cover.

And Chancer, you do make me smile. You chose your 'name' well, because we could never ever have done as you have done, even doing things properly is rarely easy for us.

L'oiseau. Its the comm de comms who sets ours, like the Mairie i only need to ask, I am in regular contact with them but being the awkward so and so that I am I look forward to winding it in to them when they tell me (too late) that it has gone up, communication is appaling in these parts, the exception is the Maire of the local town who is the Député for the region and his understudy, the president of the comm de comms who is a good friend and ally of mine. 

Re insurance, I bit the bullet this year, as you can guess Idun the insurers want me to be insured and also my customers to be insured themselves so that they can all live happily ever after arguing about who is liable while the business owner is left high and dry, unable to trade but must still pay his employees, I know of 2 in that position, one a restauranteur whose tumble drier caught fire over 2 years ago, still out of business, were it me I would have just fixed it, fixed the damage, been up and running immediately and then try arguing with the insurers, probably to no effect.

I have ascertained that if the place burns down say due to a Customer smoking, my insurers will sort me out immediately (yeah right!) and then claim against the customers own household insurance, if they dont have it or if they are English where it doesn't exist it will make no difference to my claim (meaning they still wont pay me [:P]) and may or may not pursue the personne through the courts.

in my experience they just love to argue with another insurer, to pay experts to argue against each other for years whilst all the time not honouring the claim.

The extra cost of the proper CDH/gîte extension for the insurance was not much after shopping around, a small price to pay for the peace of mind that it (doesn't) give me.

Hi not sure how it works, but when we took house insurance out we told them we had two gites attached to the property and wanted them insuring too. These are covered for a certain amount for appliances furniture and liability so i believe.

We were told we needed insurance incase of any injury to people even if not actually renting the gite. so we took the whole lot on. Not sure if this is right as we are new to all of this and our french is very very little

Yes, 3rd party insurance is part of house insurance in France, as is covering the insuree in other people's property.

No idea if you are covered if someone non french uses your gite and causes a lot of damage to it, floods it, burns it down etc etc. You will have to ask.

Chancer, at least you know where you stand. And I too, do not trust insurance companies.