Smokers in Non-Smoking Gite

Rob Roy

What do you do about people who smoke in a stated No Smoking gite? A friend of mine has had this problem with some local workers that left today and she says the gite stinks of smoke.

She has already contacted the company that booked them in as they have left orange stains on bed sheets and mattress (the mind boggles!) with photos, but can't prove the smoking as the men said they didn't smoke.

I've seen signs prominently placed in B&Bs which said that if anyone smoked in the room a fixed charge of €70 would be added to the bill for steam cleaning.

We were told by one couple that they agree with guests on arrival whether or not there was a smell of smoke in the rooms before they settled in. They said it worked, no more rooms smelling of smoke - but they didn't ask us to agree about any smokey smell in the room we stayed in! We don't smoke, by the way.

I can usually tell when its going to be a problem as those sorts when they arrive the first thing they do on getting out of the car is light up, so with them I mention it, with others I dont, I love on site so can soon see/smell any problem (windows open is a give away) I have only had to ask one person to please stop and use the car park where there is a cendrier and I have only ever thrown one guy out after taking his cannabis to the gendarmerie.

I have some smokers who stay weeks at a a time and have returned several times, in winter I offer them the heated laundry room.

Apart from the summer months most of my customers are workers but the percentage of smokers is quite low as most are cadrés, they have all been very well behaved and respectfull of the place and other tenants, - touch wood!

The golden rule as with many things in life is "confront early!"  -  I owe the Leadership Trust my thanks for learning that.