Mattress Protectors

AndrewD

We've been renting out for a few years, and it's time to replace our mattress protectors.  Obviously we want to get good ones, but there are so many to choose from.  We will be buying them in the UK, as they are UK sized mattresses.  Many of the protectors on offer describe themselves as "hotel range", but I think this is just a marketing term, and means nothing.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Is it best to use waterproof ones, or will they make it too hot and sticky on those warm summer nights?  We want people to be comfortable in bed, or else we won't get those all important repeat bookings.

Any suggestions of what type, what brand, where to buy them?

I prefer the ones I have bought in France, waterproof and breathable and from Carrefour. They are very soft to the touch rather than stiff and do not make a noise. I always use them and prefer it when hotels etc do too.

I just use a normal king size french one on our UK 5' bed.

Why do I use them. Well after a few years in France, in spite of turning our mattress, I hadn't really noticed what at state it was in, not really. And then we had to change it and I took it to the tip. I was mortified to see it, there were practically two shapes like the traces that they put round dead bodies as we had left sweat lines during the hot summers. Beurk!!!! Now even our knackered mattresses look new when thrown away.

I use the protector and then another fitted sheet on that and then the proper sheet. They don't make us too hot and can be washed regularly. Incidentally, my SIL said to me that she'd never sleep on one, so I asked if she had had a problem at our house, and she said no, and I told her that there were waterproof mattress covers on the bed. She simply hadn't known.

I used to use disposable, waterproof, breathable ones in the gites, which I ordered online. I cant remember the details of the company, but it was in UK.

They were very lightweight and I chucked them out at every changeover. Screw the environment, I would much rather have something easy and hygenic.

Thanks to all who have replied for your advice.

We took the advice to buy waterproof protectors, but we decided to buy them from M&S in the UK because the beds are doubles and singles, which are, I think, different sizes to the french ones.

We found some quite good waterproof ones in M&S that are not at all crinkly.  Quite expensive, but hopefully worth it.

• 5 years later...
We found a great fabric called TENCEL or dermofresh I think.

It has a waterproof backing but feels like cotton on the other side. We've used it as mattress and duvet protectors and its worked great for us, it washes really well.

We found them online, they do all sorts of sizes like small double and emperor. https://www.victorialinen.co.uk/mattress-protectors