Chimney Sweeps

Colandhelinfrance

Look in the 'Yellow Pages' we did, phoned the sweep who gave us an approximate date, phoned, turned up, did the job, did not make a mess and charged a minimal amount. We now have the receipt so we are covered for insurance purposes and tonight we had the first fire of the winter. The log-burner is our main form of heating - and it really does make it feel very autumnal...

Ours is also 38 euros...plus TVA. Interestingly our insurance company AXA told us last year that it is not compulsory to have your chimney swept and they they would pay out if a claim was made as a result of a chimney fire or the like without it having been swept. That said, they would prefer that people had their chimney swept.

I have been told by my insurance company it is not compulsory to have a certificate, BUT if the Pompiers come over to attend to a chimney fire and you have not got a certificate, you will be made to pay for their intervention.

Just one thing: if you have a woodburner, you are always advised to sweep before and once during the burning season.

For our first winter, we had both chimneys swept professionaly (€62 for the insert which had to be done from the roof; €50 for the open fireplace before woodburner fitting). After that, we bought brushes (check for brush diameter) and rods and my OH does it several times during the winter.

If you do it yourself regularly (relatively easy with the right tools), there is no reason for the Pompiers to come over...!

If anything, we are MORE careful about it, knowing it's our responsability.

Clair