DO I NEED A CERTIFICATE FOR MY CHIMNEY????

Smiley

HI THERE, I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOUSE IN FRANCE AND HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A LOCAL THAT I MUST HAVE A CERTIFICATE TO SAY MY CHIMNEY HAS BEEN SWEPT, OR MY FIRE INSURANCE WON'T BE VALID. I HAVE BEEN DOING IT MYSELF UP TILL NOW AND, AS A PROFFESSIONAL BUILDER BACK IN ENGLAND, KNOW THAT IT IS DONE RIGHT. IS THIS TRUE OR A MYTH?

IF IT IS TRUE DOES ANYONE KNOW A REASONABLY PRICED SWEEP IN THE LAVELANET REGION OF ARIEGE?

[quote]HI THERE, I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOUSE IN FRANCE AND HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A LOCAL THAT I MUST HAVE A CERTIFICATE TO SAY MY CHIMNEY HAS BEEN SWEPT, OR MY FIRE INSURANCE WON'T BE VALID. I HAVE BEEN DOING...[/quote]

When you have your chimney swept, the Rammoneur will (should) give your a "Certificat de Rammonage". This will prove to your insurance company that you have had your chimney swept.

There are plenty of rumours around - some as severe as "the insurance company will not pay out if you fall off a ladder & have not had your chimney swept". More likely, if your chimney catches fire & they decide that it was because you didn't have the chimney swept, then they may reduce the claim (this applies to any claim, for any reason, of course - like leaving the keys in your car). I however, know of noone whose claim has been refused for this reason.

Best just to get it done. Costs about 40€ - look in Pages Jaunes.

Does the annual mechanical rule apply to "inserts" as well? We asked the plumber(most of whom also do ramonage) to sweep the chimney which has an insert and he was perplexed. It seems that noone round here has them swept. Peering into it I think it would be a biggish job as you would have to dissassemble part of it. The previous owner of this house said in the presence of the notaire that his insurance company did not demand an attestation de ramonage. Seems tha most people use the buches de ramonage. Clarification please.

I worried about this last year, too, as we were reluctant to pay someone to sweep the chimney when my husband had the necessary tools to do it himself. I rang the insurance company and asked - they assured me that it is fine to do it ourselves, no certificate needed. I would check with your own company and if they say the same as ours, get it in writing from them just to be sure...

Jane