Artisan needed For Large New Staircase in Area 31

bazerd

We have a house being renovated and have started to ask for estimates locally.   I started this under the house renovations section of this site.

If anyone is interested in providing a quotation and would like to obtain more information please let me know. Also any advice would be most welcomed.

Our  old staircase will need to be removed first and the new staircase we would like will extend to the attic so it will have an additional turn and further steps. It will require a ceiling area to be replaced above the stair well including re-connection of a light fitting. The new staircase we would like is in Oak that will have about 30 steps with  two turning points/platforms. All walls and plasterwork will need to be made good including some new plasterboard partitioning etc.

There is also an opportunity to incorporate some understairs, oak panelled storage space.

Look forward to receiving any responses or advice. 

Barrie

I'm not in your area, and my staircase isn't as big as what you need but I just got local recommendations, and then asked to see photographs.

The one I went for took me to houses they were doing the charpenterie on at that time, and a previously 'finished' house as well as the photographs.

I love my stairs. The rest of the house could fall down, the photos of my infant son could burn... well, not quite, but it's worth checking it out seriously.

Many thanks for the reply - sounds like a great job well done. Would  you be prepared to share with me the cost and a picture as we don't yet have a good feel for waht is good or bad value. I can send you my email address if you would like it.

Thanks again,

Barrie

Hi, sorry I forgot to look again at this thread.

The staircase isn't big, It's in Elm and it cost about 4, 000E, maybe a bit less  This was over 2 years ago. I don't know if it was good value or not, I just like it because it looks like it was always there.

It was all cut out at the menuiserie and then took two guys 3 or 4 days to construct it.

I have got a picture, taken when it was first put in. it's not brilliant but at the moment I can't get a better angle without moving various large items around from the other end of the hall.

pm me with your contact info if you want to see it

• 1 month later...
Make sure your staircase conforms to regs. The gaps between the spindles on the balustrade must be a regulation width. Our builder failed to do this and yet amazingly boasts about this piece of work on his website with a photo and caption. Extraordinary.

That was a blast fromthe past, Ernie [:)]

Is my staircase illegal?  The OP has the picture. He thought it looked good.

Please share with us the regulation gaps between balustrades. This is something I was (and am) unaware of.

If mine doesn't conform I'll get them to come back and build one that does conform. [:)]

[quote user="Tresco"]

Please share with us the regulation gaps between balustrades. This is something I was (and am) unaware of.

If mine doesn't conform I'll get them to come back and build one that does conform. [:)]

[/quote]

Max 11cm (no minimum) - a standard babies head,  I believe...

That's gap, not spacing.

And Trollope is right. You win the right to view the photo of my illegal staircase by writing to me care of the board, sir. I promise you a surprise therewith. Tresco, the amazing thing about the guy who built ours is that he presents himself as someone all-knowing.