WORK

MARTIN

MY FAMILY AND I ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO NORTHAN FRANCE .

I AM A FULLY TRAINED PLUMBER /HEATING ENG AND MY WIFE IS A FULLY TRAINED HAIRDRESSER .

COULD ANY BODY TELL US THE WORK SITUATION AND HOW HARD IT WOULD BE TO GET WORK

MANY THANKS

MARTIN

The problem wont be finding work. As a plumber/heating engineer there will probably be plenty of work. The problem is with registering as self employed. Takes time and is expensive; very different to the UK.

You will have to register at the Chambre de metiers, do a course (some departments have the course in English), then choose a tax regime and register. Social security payments are very high in France (c. 4000k a year plus insurances) so do come with money to tide you over for a couple of years whilst you build up your business.

It's the same for any business and so your wife will probably have to register separately (and pay....). Find a good accountant and get advise.

It's not impossible, many including us, have done it, but it does take more planning and you don't earn the same amount as in the UK.

A good website to get an idea of the process is:

http://www.apce.com/index.php?rubrique_id=300000112&type_page=IL&pays=1

Good luck!

If your wife wants to work in a salon (full time) then she should be able to get work fairly easily in a large town +.  A friend  managed to get part-time work (very hard to get)  and has been offered several other positions in other salons IF she works full time.

Self employed would involve all sorts of cotisations/registering which others will be able to give you details on.

Being able to speak french is extremely important,without it you won't stand much of a chance at being employed over a local person. Be prepared to earn a great deal less and pay out more than the UK and I would suggest you don't sell up in the UK until you have been here for a minimum of 1 year,so many have made that mistake and had to return because of no job and no income and you will get no help from the french government unless you have paid in first.