decinel

vw world

hello there.  I am newly registered as a macon and am going through the process of setting up my business....pension, mutelles etc.  I have been made aware that the decinel is going to be difficult to get, and is very expensive.  I would like to know how many of you out there have taken on this insurance..or if there is another way of covering myself/clients.  I am aware that I need this, but have been led to believe that not all French artisans take this on.....is it a legal requirement or not?  Can I trade without it and give my word to clients (As in UK), or am I legally bound to take the decinel?  am a bit confused at the moment.  Look forward to your responses....sorry if I come across as a bit thick, but  I am tempted to forgo the decinel, but don't want to end up in hot water...would like the benefit of someone experienced..thanks

me again..just noticed on the thread of renovations that my query is linked and it looks that I will have to take out the deccanale.  I have already been warned by an insurance agent that he will find it very difficult to get this cover for me...although I have 20 years experience in my trade and was previously self employed...albeit in the UK, but I do have proof of this. 

Some insurance companies specialize in 'Assurances Professionelle' rather than the run of the mill house and car insurance. I think you will find that MAAF are both the easiest and cheapest. You do need to make an appointment rather than just turn up and expect to buy it over the counter. You will also need 'Responsibilite civile' (public liability insurance)

thanks for the recommendation Charles, much appreciated.  Will give them a go and thanks for the forwarning re; the appointment, that will undoubtedly save me time and a wasted journey.  Public liability was relatively cheap in UK...do you have a ballpark figure for stonemason here working on micro enterprise?  thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

Hi - one of those daft questions no doubt, but I'm sure there will be someone who could help?  What do you do for a decennale assureur if MAAF thinks it is unable to insure you (no reason given, btwSad [:(])

All contributions gratefully received.

K

• 3 weeks later...

If MAAF can't insure you, then, based on a friends recent experience, you'll need to re-register your business with the CDM. This involves closing your existing business (at a cost), and creating a new business (you can, however, retain the same name). The reason that you can't be insured is that you've been trading for over 6 months without insurance. Insurers can't, supposedly, cover any work you have done beyond this period. The only other way is to form a SARL with someone who has insurance.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!