power tools

steve

having just read that electrical appliances wont work in france, will i be able to plug in my transformer to operate my 110 volt tools. will household appliances work after changing plugs and any other imformation greatly appreciated

If we are talking about 110V tools (used in the UK via a yellow site transformer, for safety reasons), then, of course they will work! Why would you expect them not to? You know, soon we won't have to buy our electricity in boxes and will be able to stay up after dusk.

Ah the wonder....

PS. I am mad.

[quote user="steve"]having just read that electrical appliances wont work in france, will i be able to plug in my transformer to operate my 110 volt tools. will household appliances work after changing plugs and any other imformation greatly appreciated[/quote]

Steve

Assuming you are coming from the UK, the voltage is almost the same in France. Just change the plugs and away you go. Only variations - TV - France operates a different transmission system so you will not be able to use it via normal aerial. Uk TV's can be used with digital sattelite systems.  PHONES etc.- different wall socket fitting. You can usually overcome this by buying an adaptor or just changing the complete lead from the phone to the wall socket for a french one. Sometimes due to different wiring they will not work or ring. Its a suck it and see job.

Tony

I was led to undestand that some years back the UK supply was downgraded from 240 to 220, so that supplies from Europe would be standard. Every appliance we have bought from UK works fine, including our22 year old B&O TV. Never did figure out  the earth system or why they don't use ring mains. Although one may be linked to the other?

I did read an article in UK press after the downgrading,which most people didn't seem to know about, noticing that kettles were taking slightly longer to boil and microwaves were fractionally slower!!

Regards. By St.Malo

• 4 months later...

You may well get a few funny looks about your transformer and 110v kit. The French are a bit butch about that it seems. They even use 235v mains kit while standing in ankle deep water and repairing/modifing the bottom of a, nearly, drained lock on the Canal du Midi a couple of winters ago. I walked away???

My workshop, not long finished, has U.K. 3 pin sockets in it, but I am looking at the probability of changing over to the French sockets and plugs. I have changed all of the elect kit that we bought from the U.K. and changed about 30 plugs for the stuff in the house.

It's also a very good idea to have lightening protection on your computer and phone lines, both mains and comms. I am looking for the same type of protection for our TV ariel too.

If you flog your useless haunted fish tanks at a 'local' vide grenier then I would make sure that your disguise is VERY GOOD Cassis, or you maw well get visits?

Sorry, not a one liner I'm afraid?

John.

I have about 15 British to French plug adapters.  Now I have started to change my electrical things from Brit to French as they wear out or burn out (as in the case of my kettle and my slow cooker).

Last month, I bought a French microwave and a French washing machine.  They both have English digital instructions on the front.  The French must despair.

[quote user="Cathy"]

Last month, I bought a French microwave and a French washing machine.  They both have English digital instructions on the front.  The French must despair.

[/quote]

We just bought a new dishwasher and washing machine and both came with instructions in English - though that probably won't help me as I'm a complete technophobe when it comes to appliances.  I can't work the dvd / video or the remote control (not that MOH ever lets me have the remote [;-)]).  The kids have given up on me LOL

Kathie