solar power

poulet

We have a small rural holiday hideaway in Tarn et Garonne without mains electricity. We would like

to use photovoltaic solar panels to supplement the electricty we get

from our generator. Are there any regulations we need to know about?

Does anyone know of any solar power companies in the area?

I read a while ago that grants are available towards the purchase and installation costs.  Not sure how easy it is to apply, whether there are any restrictions or how much one can get, but it would be something I'd be interested in if anyone has gone down this route.  Ditto wind turbines.

If you install energy efficient/renewable resource based devices there is financial assistance available. The equipment needs to be certified to comply with certain norms to be eligible and the level of subsidy is different for different sorts of device. I will be getting 40% or 50% for my wood burning stove (I thought it would be 40% but the paperwork says 50% - so we will see). Normally the system has to be professionally installed by a registered installation company (i.e. you cannot purchase something at a DIY store and install it yourself and get any tax credit).

The money is only a percentage of the equipment costs - not installation nor accessories. It is paid via a tax credit for the tax for the financial year the equipment was invoiced in.- thus you do not get the money until some time in the following year. As it is done by a tax credit it is only available to people filling-in a French income tax return. The credit amount is taken off your tax bill (which may result in a credit if your "refund" is more than your tax bill).

You will have to check with the people who would install the system as to the level of tax credit you would get (assuming you are a French "tax payer") - I was only looking at solar thermal when I went through the research on it.

To find companies I would recommend checking with your local ADEME office. My experience (of my local one) is that they are exceptionally helpful (and despite not speaking English, we managed without any problems).

Same applies to wind turbines as for solar. If you are on the grid you can sell your excess electricity to EDF. However, the rate they pay you for it is very low and with a wind generator it might be that it would not be wroth buying the box to put your spare electricity back into EDF (probably depends on the cost of the required box and how much you are generating how much of the time).

Ian

As far as I know the EDF are currently paying more for electricity than they are selling it to you for! This is being incrementally lowered so hurry up.

I imagine it's to encourage more eco friendly power production for households.

My french girlfriend is doing research into this at the moment.