Client not allowing Artisan to start

Nick Trollope

We've all heard of the problems of Artisans not turning up when they are supposed to, but what do I do, when the client won't let me start on time?

He has signed a devis (4 months ago) and confirmed the start date (mine) a week ago. He has paid nothing (first payment is only due when the work is started). I guess that he has found somebody cheaper (there is always one!).

Of course, I am now short of work, because I would have been booked up until February. What do I do now?

I can understand your anger Nick.  I remember when my husband used to plaster and was let down at the last minute.  In these sorts of scenarios he used to find that nine times out of ten he would have to go back and put the "undercutters" work right.

Ahhh bliss.

Think positive, enjoy a few days off or you could try advertising for work on the forum, sit back and watch a rumpus unfold before your eyes.  That should keep you entertained for a day or two until you pick up a job.

Nick ............

My initial reaction would be to make a polite, but firm and formal approach to the client asking when he expects to be able to give you the go-ahead. It might just be that he needs a week or so to get the available funds , which for a 2/3 mth job, are likely to be considerable: he may have been too embarrassed to say.

If however, your suspicions are correct, at least you'll know.  What recourse you have then (if he has signed a devis), you or others will probably know better.

Surely it's the former - I mean what kind of ****** signs a devis and then switches horses a week later?  No, I'm being naive again.  

Nick I can imagine the stress this must be causing you, but without the facts in front of you, you cannot choose an appropriate course of action. In my opinion there is only one thing you can do at this stage, and that's to clarify the situation and get to the bottom of what's going on, how you do that will depend on your character but try and get a face to face, be calm but make sure you have full on eye contact with the client.

Once the situation is clearer then you'll be in a position to decide your next move.

Good luck and try not to stress.

Nick, we had the same problem with a customer several months ago after he courted us for weeks to go to his place. He knew our prices before and had seen the quality of work we produce, that was good enough and he asked us to start.

To our surprise he binned us just before we were due to start, resulting in the same position you now find yourself in, fortunately we were able to bring a job forward.

People like that need a good ...................................................................... at least once [:D]

That's a bummer, Nick, something that's always lurking in the back of my mind. The same thing happened to me once, but like Hugh, I had a job I could put in it's place.

Unfortunately people let each other down in this world, but it would be easier and fairer if people were up front about their situation or intentions and didn't bullshit.

I can't really add anything to what the others have said, I hope something works out for you.

Chris

Thanks for all the responses.

The problem, it transpires, is money. Essentially, they did not send my devis to the bank, so they did not release the funds (for the 1st payment - 3.000-ish). They are financing their entire rebuild using their bank, so they really should know how it works!

Oh, & they are French BTW.

Not sure how the commercial legal system works in France.

However, my hardnosed attitude to timewasters, dreamers and messers these days is simple.

ALL clients have to sign a contract note before we commence.

If they renege, then they are hit instantly, by a written demand for the agreed liquidated damages (specified in the contract under Terms and Conditions).

Don't pay? then it's Small Claims Court: after two letters.

Sharpens their focus.

Surely, if they have signed the Devis, then they are bound to the contract? If they wish to avoid this contract, then they must be liable for your losses? Or a proportion of them?

Many people are loth to take such actions, as they feel their reputation might suffer, particularly, I'm sure, in another country. However, personally, I now take the reverse view. People learn to respect one's toughness.

Hope some alternative work comes along, Nick. Awful time of the year to happen, too.