ten year guarantee on new build who gives it

hardhat

I don't know if you mean the decannale?  The artisan takes this out and it guarantees all his work for 10 years.  My husband has one, but he keeps the actual certificate and gives a photocopy to his client.  Don't know if this is what you mean though?

hi beryl,thanks for replying its appreciated,could you explain please if its not to much bother what is assurance D O, its the DO ,what is it,who gives it to you,does the certificate for the full build come from a ordinary insurance company,if it does id love to know the name of the company,

We had a new build and even though it was built start to finish by various artisans we had to have this assurance dommage ouvrage. I don't know why as I know now every registered artisan has his own cover but it was built into the price of the house build. Once the house was finished and we signed to say every thing was ok, the project manager came back with the certificate from the assurance company. Sorry I can't be any more specific than that.

hi tetley thanks , i am an artisan so i get the decannale bit, what i really need to know is if there is the french equivelent of  of  the english N H BC , who charge the person or company doing the build  and give a guarantee on the whole build ,im doing a new build to sell and need to know how i can issue a guarantee  any info very much apreciated

[quote user="hardhat"]hi tetley thanks , i am an artisan so i get the decannale bit, what i really need to know is if there is the french equivelent of  of  the english N H BC , who charge the person or company doing the build  and give a guarantee on the whole build ,im doing a new build to sell and need to know how i can issue a guarantee  any info very much apreciated[/quote]

If you are the developer, then you provide the insurance - I'd ask your broker - it is very expensive and you need to be registered as a Marchand de Biens or whatever. The cost prevented me from selling new-builds. You can try to sell the property without it, but it is up to the prospect to decide if they want to take the risk. "My" Notaire won't sell a new house without vast quantities of insurance.

The Do is the equivalent to mandatory 3rd party house insurance, for works-in-progress. it covers you for (eg.) someone hurting themselves whilst viewing the property. The Artisans insurance wouldn't cover this.

Sorry Nick, but the DO assurance  is nothing to do with third party accident liability. It is a special insurance that covers the purchaser against the risk of default on an artisans 10 year cover.

If there is a structural problem then the buyer claims against the DO who then pursues the individual artisans.

If you are building a house for your own use, then there is a bit of a void because though the insurance is compulsory there are no sanctions if you don't take it out. You may have problems selling it, if you encounter a picky notaire, but that's only a problem if you come to sell.

However it is a criminal offence for a developer to sell a spec house without the appropriate cover.

You can probably sense that it is a French approach to giving NHBC type cover, in a more fragmented way. The premiums are based on the builders track record and vary from 2 to 5% of the capital cost.