Presses a briquettes

icmenuiserie

[quote user="icmenuiserie"]Does any one have one of these machines or know anything about them as I am interested in perhaps buying one? It's a press for making logs from sawdust, which you can then burn on the fire....[/quote]

I know about this paper one:

Log maker

Presse à briquettes

You can buy briquettes from these people and you might want to have a look at these people:

www.weima.com

www.reinbold.de

www.ah2-bioenergies.com

www.techni-wood.be

[quote user="icmenuiserie"]Cool thanks for that they're just what I'm looking for. Do you have any experience of using the machine or how well the logs burn?[/quote]

I've never used the sawdust one, bu the paper log one was once quite popular... It became obsolete after a house move and has not been seen since!

One consideration is the type of wood the sawdust has come from. I have loads of small offcuts of pine and softwood (ends on joists that have been cut to length, off cuts of panelling, etc.) Being aware of the risks of burning "high resin" woods in a wood burner I checked with the guy who cleaned the chimney this year if he thought it was OK to use these as fuel. He said OK to light the fire with but not as fuel (resin issues).

Not use if he was being a bit "over cautions" and I would really love to use them up and keep warm from them !!.

Anyway, point being that if the sawdust comes from softwoods, I would have thought the resin content similar to the actual wood itself - so the same would apply.

Maybe the chimney guy was being over cautions (and do tell me if this is the case - as I would not need too much encouragement to burn my offcuts in the wood burner).

Ian

We have only chatâigner and oak saw dust and the mountain is growing...hence the need for some way of getting rid of it. I knew about the soft wood, was warned by somone more or less as soon as we moved here...we were also looking into buying a large screw, grin, which slowly pulls the sawbust into a furnace and then heats a boiler. These are usually industrial, or for heating byres in the winter by farmers, but they are too expensive for us really, and to be most effective you need to mix the sawdust with an oil, and the nearest chippy is miles away!

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to be corrected, but until then I can't see much of a problem with burning so called resinous softwoods such as pine. The Scandinavian countries and much of Eastern Europe (plus USA, Canada etc.) has swathes of pine forests which are regularly used to fuel log burners and fires. Am I missing something here?

• 2 months later...
The answer, for those that keep livestock, in making a brick that burns longer is to mix manure with the sawdust make into bricks which dry.  Apparently one of these will burn as long and sometimes longer than an equivalent sized oak log.  Make in the summer when they can be baked dry and use in winter!  Have a look at this website http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/hooker87.html