what are the requirements for becoming a registered builder?

Collywobble

EDIT:  Renamed post.

Can someone please point me to the post about...what the requirements are for becoming a registered builder?

Or tell me the answer [:)]

I saw the info a few weeks ago, but I can't find it. The search function is a bit limited.

From memory it was: 

- Apprenticeship / C & G type papers and references for 3 trades (All translated)

- Min experience two years each?

Was there a construction exam or just the standard 5 day "run a business" course?

Does anyone have a list of trades that qualify toward the experience list?  I'm guessing its Carpentry, Bricklaying, Roofing, Plumbing and Electrical

Thanks for any advice as it will help me put some longterm plans in place.

Cheers

Where are you collywobble?  if you are in Dordogne, I have a number of someone to help you.  She speaks very good english, and is in a department specifically aimed at helping brits start up their businesses (non profit making government thing).

[quote user="tetley"]Where are you collywobble?  if you are in Dordogne, I have a number of someone to help you.  She speaks very good english, and is in a department specifically aimed at helping brits start up their businesses (non profit making government thing).[/quote]

Hi Tetley, that would be great, please feel free to email/pm me her details.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi, there's an english builder round our way who had to provide details of what he was doing in the UK (something like three years of building experience - which can, of course, be exagerrated in the translation - not that I'm implying he did anything like that).

I think the main issue is being able to find professional insurance cover and it's the insurers who will require convincing. Registering as a builder might be the easy part...

It depends whether you want to throw houses up or just do bits and bobs, if you want to do bits and bobs there are all kinds of registration loopholes (that could see you end up in serious trouble in the event of a job going wrong!). [:-))]

Hello collywobble. Did you find the info for registering as a builder. ive got my city and guilds certificare for plastering, i can get references from builders for two other trades as well. if you have got info i would really appreciate any advice on what exactly you need etc. thanks for any help. grimp.

• 2 weeks later...
Grimp, basically it's three years experience for each trade.

Apprenticeships don't seem that common, they seem to work on refence system. So get...

C & G

Letters of reference from at least one (two is better) clients, employer etc for each trade

Have these translated into French

Go to your Mairie

I can't remember if you need your insurance first?

BTW, I'm told that there is no official recognition of C & G etc, but its an official bit of paper, so it helps.

I had read that to be a 'Builder' you needed three trades, but i can't find anything to support that now.

cheers

• 1 month later...

its really about insurace...if you cannot give paper evidence of at least five years in your profesion then forget it.  It is illegal to work as an artisan in the Building sector in france without decennal and Responsibilitie civil insurance, which is not a bad thing, cuts back on the cowboys, except of course there are a lot of people working illegally.

Call you local Chamber de metiers

And loads registered and working legally but without decannel I'm totally confused by this, you are saying it's a legal requirement so how can this be the case?  How are they getting around it?  We've have devis, siret quoted etc. and then asked about insurance and some say they have it others not..

[quote user="Panda "]And loads registered and working legally but without decannel I'm totally confused by this, you are saying it's a legal requirement so how can this be the case?  How are they getting around it?  We've have devis, siret quoted etc. and then asked about insurance and some say they have it others not..[/quote]

If someone is suggesting that working without insurance (in the construction industry) is legal, then they are deluding themselves. Decennale & protection civile insurance is mandatory. If one can't get it/can't afford it/can't be bothered, then one can't work. End of story.

Basically, because it isn't regulated, you have to prove your trade and it is expensive, people don't seem to bother.  And alot of clients have no idea what a decanalle is, so they don't bother asking to see such documentation.......so easypeasy for registered builders to work without paying out for insurance and appear above board, I bet alot of people in the building trade don't even know it is obligatory...or say they don't....

some trades don't need it...i believe such as gardeners, painter decorators.