Marble or tiles?

Geranium

I would like our shower surround, bath surround and sink top to be in marble rather than tiles (we're indulging in our own bathroom!).  I'm assuming to do a bath surround will be expensive as the hole for the bath has to be cut from one huge piece. Am I correct in thinking this is how it is done?  What should I be looking for as far as the shower surround is concerned? I don't insist in just one piece here.

Where do you reckon is the best place to go for this (a gravestone supplier maybe?) and what should I ask for? Or should I just try and find marble tiles?  I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has done this. Thanks!

[quote user="Russethouse"]I was advised against using marble in the shower as apparently (and hard to believe) it is slightly porous.........[/quote]

Indeed it IS porous - marble tiles have to be sealed, otherwise any spilt red wine (for example ....) will stain it and stains can be very difficult to get rid of.

Regards

Pickles

Well on those rare occasions that I have stayed in posh hotels, there IS marble. I've also seen it plenty of times in magazines. Granted a glass of red wine may go down well while relaxing in the bath, but I'm sure it is fine for a bathroom. But how do I go about getting it? 

I have had marble in my house while I lived in Turkey, the also use it in the tarmac for the roads, great fun when it rains!. 

I have a friend who sells marble so has alot of it in their home.  They have a problem keeping it clean, have to be very carful with acidic solutions, it stains, porous, and very very slippy.

Marble is very beautiful and expensive, but I would choose not to have it again.

Marble is porous but you can buy special products to seal it and look after it, like you would with wood.  Also you don't have to have one piece, you can join it very successfully and this is done with granite tops in kitchens for example all the time.  I would suggest going to a funeral stone mason because they have all the equipment and will be far cheaper than going through a bathroom or kitchen place.  They will probably ask you to take a template and you will therefore be responsible for its size etc.  You can also ask them to bevel the edges as they have the machines to do this.  I was an interior designer and have undertaken this type of work for several clients.  I've used slate, granite and marble for both kitchens and bathrooms.