Canadian Electrician

john & denise

Hello, Would a fully qualified time served electrician with both construction & maintenance papers issued in British Columbia Canada find it difficult to set up as self-employed in France? It would not take me long to write the C&G exam here if it were to simplify things by having British qualifications,but would this be necessary?Alternatively,would it be better to try and get a start with an English speaking (or English owned ) shop to learn the ropes for a while.I would be interested in domestic electrics mostly.Are there Sparkies out there in France who would be so kind as to post advice? My Wife has twelve years experience as a vetinary nurse,but my occupation is our primary concern at present.My French is poor I would say,(I'm at the point where I understand what people are saying if they speak slowly,unfortunately,I understand it about 45 seconds after they've spoken!) Ha-Ha. Before anyone asks,it's not true that Canada is a bilingual country.That is just Federal Gov' crap to enable the Quebec tail to wag the Canadian dog.Anyway,thanks in advance for any and all info'sent.We love the forum,it's very informative and entertaining! Thanks John & Denise.

Hi John,

My name is Howard and I'm a registered carpenter in France( area 31). It's not difficult to set up here and you will find people who can help you with comunication. You will need a copy of your qualification translated with that and a current electricity bill you can do anything.However it's expensive and who will your customers be? because France is great but it's full of Brits who want everything cheap, tell you first off their on a tight budget and then tell you they have no money when you arrive with the bill.

My wife and I have been looking at Canada/ Australia with our three children . Europe is swamped with cheap labour from eastern countries and the rates are droping, tradesworkers are considered very low most brits think all artisans are going to rip them off.

I've been a carpenter along time but now realize it's time to re-train, stay where you are it cant be greener here!

Sorry,

Howard.    

Howard says

because France is great but it's full of Brits who want everything

cheap, tell you first off their on a tight budget and then tell you

they have no money when you arrive with the bill.

Many thanks for that sweeping generalisation.

Let me know whether you chose Canada or Australia and I'll wish you a safe journey.

I'm an electrician.

I'm happy to offer whatever advice I can, but;

Do you have the right to work in the EU? I'm not sure Canadians count...

As others have said, it is not difficult to set up as self-employed in France, it is just expensive - make sure you have the means to support yourself for 2 years before you start.

To be an electrician here, you will need to know the French system. You are lucky in the fact that it bears more resemblence to the US/Canadian system than it does the UK one.

Howard,

Don't be sorry far better to vent off some frustration here on a forum than start wife bashing or something else more drastic......!!

Sorry doesn't not help the Canucks from BC but good luck anyway

John

(cheapskate Brit wanting everything for nowt)