working as a plumber in france

Giff

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me, I am moving to france next year [near limoges] and I was intending to try and start a business working as a plumber - I am not qualified as a plumber but have done alot of plumbing work for myself and was intending to do a basic course NVQ2 or Diploma to formalize the knowledge. Having spoken to a builder when I was in France recently I was given the stroing impression that this would be possible and that the process of registering was fairly easy and there is alot of work. What I really need to know is 1-what is the minimum qualification I would need to register as a plumber in france, and 2- any advice about how i do this whether this is a feasible/sensible thing to do.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Gf

I'd suggest that you consider the replies you recieved to this question on TF.

Personally, I don't think that you would be entitked to register, as you cannot prove experience and an NVQ2 doesn't really qualify you to do the very different style of French plumbing.

Of course, if you lie to the Chambre de Metiers and forge a few letters of recommendation, then you will get registered. If you are caught, then you will be in the do-do. And you have told us that you are not experienced (enough) - you never know who is listening....

hi thanks fopr ther reply - thats rather gutting but I thought it was probably the case - that being so I was thinking of contacting every builder / tradesman in the limoges area and offering to work for them for 3 months or so for a token wage [say 50 per week] to get some experience and then hopefully one of the them might take me on - or I could then set up doing basic plumbing jobs - What would you suggest or do you think the idea in general is bad.

thanks again

Gf

In France, once you are time served (at least 2 years apprentiship) you must work for an employer for at least 2 years before you can be self employed in that trade.

Also, an employer can't pay you a "token wage", they have to pay you minimum wage because of the employment laws here. If you registered as unemployed, you could apply to firms for the oportunity to do a "stage" with them, usually for a week, and hope eventually to find a firm who would be suitably impressed with your capabilities (and also your French) to give you a job. Do be aware though, that most employees here earn little more than minimum wage, even when qualified.

Sorry,

Aly

thanks v much for the advice - I think I will stay with my current employer in the UK for the moment as I can work online. If I can't get a token wage - what if I work for free? - it would be worth my while to volunteer for a couple of days a week just to get the experience?

[quote user="Giff"]

thanks v much for the advice - I think I will stay with my current employer in the UK for the moment as I can work online. If I can't get a token wage - what if I work for free? - it would be worth my while to volunteer for a couple of days a week just to get the experience?

[/quote]

I didn't realise that you could do plumbing on-line. Was that an NVQ2 requirement?

• 4 weeks later...

So the best young plumber in France now works for a Manchester firm!

I wonder if he is carrying out this work in France, doing it remotely (on line) from England[:D] or has just found that he will have to finish his apprenticeship than work for another 2 years at minimum wage?

And has therefore decided that with a letter of reccomendation from Sarkozy he can take his pick of contract jobs in Manchester at £50/hr?

P.S. that number was picked out of the air as I have been away from the UK building trade for a long time.

[quote user="Giff"]Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me, I am moving to france next year [near limoges] and I was intending to try and start a business working as a plumber - I am not qualified as a plumber but have done alot of plumbing work for myself and was intending to do a basic course NVQ2 or Diploma to formalize the knowledge. Having spoken to a builder when I was in France recently I was given the stroing impression that this would be possible and that the process of registering was fairly easy and there is alot of work. What I really need to know is 1-what is the minimum qualification I would need to register as a plumber in france, and 2- any advice about how i do this whether this is a feasible/sensible thing to do.

Many thanks

Gf
[/quote]

Hi Giff,

You need to take one step at a time.

(A) Your first step should be to become a plumber in the UK!

(B)  Then at the end of your apprenticeship / training decide on your next move

Kind regards,

Leo

Even if you did manage to get registered here in France as a plumber, to be legal you will need at least third party liability insurance. I my experience it seems that nearly all insurance companies here want to see proof of qualifications and do not just take your word that you are what you are saying you are.

Victor

• 1 month later...
[quote user="LEO"]

[quote user="Giff"]Hi

Many thanks

Gf
[/quote]

This is a bit like "X-Factor"...but there is no quick fix or immediate experience/skill acquisition. Complete an apprenticeship (mine was 5 years - shows my age), get a few years experience then look at France.

But why go to France? There is more than enough work in the UK. Buy a holiday home for now.

Hi Giff,

You need to take one step at a time.

(A) Your first step should be to become a plumber in the UK!

(B)  Then at the end of your apprenticeship / training decide on your next move

Kind regards,

Leo

[/quote]

The only UK plumber in this area, aka Mr Leaky or the call back kid because of all the leaks he seems to leave behind - doesn't have his phone on in the evening, doesn't have it on at weekends and has apparently been kicked off several jobs for being a bodger.

We use a French plumber but for any good, qualified, experienced, English speaking plumber who wants to live in France and make a few Euros - as the local English but fully qualified electrician does - get down to the Perigord, you'll clean up - no pun intended.