Battle with Chamb de Met

Chris Head

Just something for the artisans out there who are doing things outside of their remit to think about.

I was doing stuff that I wasn't registered to do too (most artisans stray a wee bit) but for one reason or another I need to be almost bullet proof now sooo, with dread in my heart started what I thought was going to be a process akin to climbing a mountain barefoot. How wrong I was.

The Ch de Met have been unbelievably helpful....working on the premise that truth conquers all I just hit them with the 'difficulties' I've had over the last three or four months and boy did they work hard to find solutions to how I want to re-shape my business...and they provided the coffee too!  The head of the Ch de Met has even asked me to do an exhibition in their attached showroom.

Before I had the right to do practically anything I wanted to with wood, now I've added a variety of other activities which encompass the things I do associated to renovations (none of it structural) and exterior works associated with landscape and it's associated activities; including parks & gardens and tree surgery.

The only thing that has made me chuckle is the tree surgery that I've added to my remit....I can climb the hooogest tree I want to, carry out complex and dangerous reduction/dismantling operations back to the main stem....carve a totem into the stem, section it off to ground level even, but I'm not allowed to actually fell the stem in one! Apparently I have to go & see maf about that...weird.

Don't be afraid to level with the authorities and take them on, I personally have folk just waiting for the opportunity to stick a knife in my back, sleeping at night has got to be a better option than parking the truck out of sight and worrying about the jungle drums? 

Well done Chris. I think you will find though that you can only register for one metier here at the CdM but as long as your insurers know what you are doing and you are covered with them its perfectly fine.My OH is only registered for one metier because his title of main contractor dosn't really exist in France, but the TVA,Impôts and insurers all have him legally labelled as a complete entreprise carrying out several trades  and he is covered therein. Always best to come clean here, so many out there always ready to stick the knife in especially locals you may inadvertantly upset without knowing and to have a really good french accountant who knows his way round the system and can save you lots of euros.

[quote user="shawny"]But there should never be a battle with either of the chambres, they are there for you, the very reason for them even being there is to help anyone wishing to register, or who has registered already

[/quote]

There shouldn't be shawny, I agree, but there often is, especially if you don't fall within the guidlines, or you pick a fontionnaire on a bad day or even someone who is prejudiced against the British here...it happens.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

[quote user="shawny"]But there should never be a battle with either of the chambres, they are there for you, the very reason for them even being there is to help anyone wishing to register, or who has registered already

[/quote]

There shouldn't be shawny, I agree, but there often is, especially if you don't fall within the guidlines, or you pick a fontionnaire on a bad day or even someone who is prejudiced against the British here...it happens.

[/quote]

Or you approach the situation in the belief that you are in for a battle. Isn't it called a "Self-fulfilling Prophecy".

Always better to start with an open mind, in my view..........................

That's really good news Chris and I totally agree with you that if you're straight with them they are usually more than ready to help sort your problem - and I'm talking about MSA here in my case, everyone's favourite organisme  :D

And if I may give a word of advice: in my opinion, don't concern yourself too much about the people waiting to stick a knife in your back - life is too short - get on with what you're good at and more importantly what you enjoy doing, do it right and let the others stew - just my view :).

Chris ....I learned this years ago......" Life owes me nothing ....one clear morn is boon enough for being born ....and ....be it ninety years ...or ..ten ..no need  for me to question when ....My life is mine !....I find it good.....and greet each hour with gratitude ....."

My life is mine

I agree with the sentiment Frederick but like so many folk, responsibilities & commitment took precedence over freedom, by a long way, my life was deicated to others...one becomes a machine, breaks and then has to learn what being free means & how to enjoy it again.

I've printed that off and will say it ten times a day for a week, maybe it'll sink in that way!

Thanks

HI Chris

I am dealing with registration right now - to start with under Chambres de Commerce including entretien parcs et jardins (?). Did you actually register this with the Chambre de Metiers or was it terassement or some other variation. I am curious as when I mentioned by way of example some pool cleaning activity to the CC I was told I must go to CM. I am not actually worried about this as such as I have done the stage de gestion already.

Hi ESB,

I'm registered with met but clearly there are crossovers now to comm & ch de met are being superb also in that they're handling qll the admin & communications for me, there's a fee but it's not much for the effort they have put in?

You're right to want to cover yourself; as val said you never know who you're going to pee off...locals; competition etc, best to be bullet proof before you get sniped at.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...
[quote user="Chris Head"]

Just something for the artisans out there who are doing things outside of their remit to think about.

I was doing stuff that I wasn't registered to do too (most artisans stray a wee bit) but for one reason or another I need to be almost bullet proof now sooo, with dread in my heart started what I thought was going to be a process akin to climbing a mountain barefoot. How wrong I was.

The Ch de Met have been unbelievably helpful....working on the premise that truth conquers all I just hit them with the 'difficulties' I've had over the last three or four months and boy did they work hard to find solutions to how I want to re-shape my business...and they provided the coffee too!  The head of the Ch de Met has even asked me to do an exhibition in their attached showroom.

Before I had the right to do practically anything I wanted to with wood, now I've added a variety of other activities which encompass the things I do associated to renovations (none of it structural) and exterior works associated with landscape and it's associated activities; including parks & gardens and tree surgery.

The only thing that has made me chuckle is the tree surgery that I've added to my remit....I can climb the hooogest tree I want to, carry out complex and dangerous reduction/dismantling operations back to the main stem....carve a totem into the stem, section it off to ground level even, but I'm not allowed to actually fell the stem in one! Apparently I have to go & see maf about that...weird.

Don't be afraid to level with the authorities and take them on, I personally have folk just waiting for the opportunity to stick a knife in my back, sleeping at night has got to be a better option than parking the truck out of sight and worrying about the jungle drums? 

[/quote]

Well done Chris.

I too decided to expand my own " empire " and armed with the necessary translated certification found the Ch de M helpful enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say the Chambre de Metier has been great for us. I was a bit concerned about being able to add to our activities but after reading this we went and there was absolutly no problem in fact i have been trying to find out how my husband goes on about getting his lisence for machine driving [mini digger] i even started a thread on here but i had no replies anyway we mentioned it at the Metier and they sorted it out there and then booked him in for his test in March and then informed us that they cover all costs So my advise to anyone is use the Chambre de Metier like someone has already said, they are there to help artisans and they are great