septic tank breather

johnycarper

Can anyone advise if it is possible to get a filter to stop the smell out of the breather pipe in septic tank that fits in line,our pipe sticks out the top of our barn and i do not fancy going up there to fit a cap on the top.

Thanks for any advice and if its possible what its called in france.

I'm sure someone will be along soon and correct me but isn't the whole purpose of the breather pipe to allow the septic tank to vent off excess gasses?  I'm sure if it were restricted then there would be dire consequences.  If your tank is smelling then I would suggest that it isn't working properly.  Mine whiffs a bit (well OK a lot) when it hasn't been used for a while and not enough water has passed though it, conditions that I'm expecting this weekend. 

You may need to add some of that septic tank 'booster' stuff (the name of which escapes me-  Tyvek??) or even better, drinks lots of real ale and pee a lot down the loo.  This really works!

Thanks everyone for the link and advice it looks like the answer,can anyone tell me if you put this inside the barn but a vent its OK,the reason i ask is that our barn roof is very high and a sharp slope and i don't fancy getting up there .I thought about cutting the pipe inside and putting the vent by one of the breather vents to take out the gas.

Thanks for all your help,

John