Artisans and kickbacks...is it normal?

zeb

We've been asked to quote for a large job, but the guy who has put our name forward is asking for a kickback.

Seems a bit immoral to us as it means that we'd either have to bump up the facture to the (and his) client, or pay it out of our pockets ..so just wondered if it's normal with artisans in France? (We're talking about several hundred euros here)

I know this probably happens all the time in big (or shady) business but must admit that this is a first for us and we're feeling a bit miffed about it...do we agree and bid for the work, or do we turn a potentially large job down.  Also, we have never asked/or expected anything from any of the many artisans we've introduced to any of our clients. I'm sure someone is going to tell us that it's the norm and that we're mugs....

...and yes, we need the work!

I look forward to your comments.

When ever I was asked to adjust my costs to ensure that I got a contract I always told them to stick it. Because once you start it never ends, you do it for them and they then tell their pals and you are stuck with a reputation of being a soft touch. If you do good work honestly, and turn out a good result you will always get work. Have confidence in your own ability,  there is no need to "buy" work. Do it cheap and you will not do the job with a good heart.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Yes, Nick, in an ideal world, but the balance here may be between morality and hunger[/quote]

In your scenario Wooly hunger might signify that you are doing the wrong job or not doing it very well. I don't know the person who posted the original question but he asked for comments, so I repeat I would never pay a kickback. Also the OP is saying that it is a big job, maybe it's too big for him? If he was used to large jobs he wouldn't be asking this question on this forum. Thats reality Wooly nothing to do with morality. [:D]

Thanks guys..

Nick no probs with the size of the job, or my confidence....

I was just asking how common kickbacks/introduction fees/whatever you want to call them are in France to small businesses.We just felt slightly uncomfortable as we know another client of his, and wondered if he's being ripped off in some way..

LOL we did (gladly) receive a bottle of whisky once from a grateful plumber...but this is a different ballgame..

why do you need to up the clients quote ?

a guy has introduced you to a large contract, and you get an attack of morality,,,,,,,,,,misplaced, but still. no sign of an attack of gratefulness I see.....

give the man his " drink" or if its too greater moral sacrifice tell him to give it to someone else, infact probably everyone reading this would be grateful;;;

dont know what planet people are on some times..

Zeb has been given the opportunity to bid for a large contract and the person who introduced him to the client has asked for payment of an introductory commission. That's not unusual in business, but Zeb has never come across this situation before so he feels a bit uncomfortable with it and is enquiring as to whether it was normal practice or whether he was being taken for a mug.

Sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable question....

The procedure is not un-heard of and mostly praticed by "new comers" to the trade. By definition I will never use a tradesman "recommended" by another for that simple reason. The devis itself is sufficient proof of some under the table exchanges.

• 2 months later...
when in Rome and all that!

I have heard of this going on quite a lot since moving to France.

It depends if you are guaranteed the job after the kickback.

Or if the person wants the kickback after you get the job.