Reporting illegal working

ruonglue

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Val_2"] NO the URSSAF receptionist will not speak english....... The local gendarmerie if you live in the country will operate under the umbrella of the main HQ in your nearest town. Again they will not usually speak in english as they get very irritated when people refuse to speak french.[/quote]

That’s a sweeping generalisation if there ever was one! The local police here love to chat in English when they stop you and ask you to blow into the bag or check your papers, they never seem irritated. Do you know the URSSAF receptionist personally? That is a pretty definitive “NO” you have given the OP.

[/quote]

As a matter of fact I have been visiting URSSAF in Brest for many years(17 for work related) even though the RSI took over their charges for us and know that there are very few people there who speak english and the accueil certainly do not. Why should they? If you live here, speak the language or at least try to.

Val 2 wrote: there are very few people there who speak english and the accueil certainly do not. Why should they? If you live here, speak the language or at least try to.

I apologise for the thread drift but, If I used that language or thought process in England I would be perceived as racist and be accused of being a little Englander. If only we in England had the same rights of thought as Les Français moyen; or should I say also the little Brits in residence. [:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]

On the other hand since we are in France it is surely better to speak in French? Nothing is more likely to put the back up of officials than the arrogant 'Little Briton' attitude of speaking English loudly as if they were deaf [:)]

[/quote]

A bit off topic, but I was told that an english neighbour of mine (with an aggressive reputation already) was called into the Tax Foncière office. He refused to speak french, got aerated, tax man called the Gendarmes. He yelled at them, in english, "If it hadn't been for us you lot would be speaking German!"[:'(]

Not a way of endearing us to the french.

[quote user="Val_2"][quote user="Jay"]

That’s a sweeping generalisation if there ever was one! The local police here love to chat in English when they stop you and ask you to blow into the bag or check your papers, they never seem irritated. Do you know the URSSAF receptionist personally? That is a pretty definitive “NO” you have given the OP.

[/quote]

As a matter of fact I have been visiting URSSAF in Brest for many years(17 for work related) even though the RSI took over their charges for us and know that there are very few people there who speak english and the accueil certainly do not. Why should they? If you live here, speak the language or at least try to.[/quote]

I agree with you on one point, those of us who live here should certainly speak French (or try to). You have the benefit of 17 years practice,

face42
may well have moved here recently and be taking lessons. You assume just because they ask if their is an English speaker they are not interested in speaking French. You also seem to assume this person will be visiting the same office in Brest as you do which is doubtful. You assume too much!

[quote user="NickP"]

Val 2 wrote: there are very few people there who speak english and the accueil certainly do not. Why should they? If you live here, speak the language or at least try to.

I apologise for the thread drift but, If I used that language or thought process in England I would be perceived as racist and be accused of being a little Englander. If only we in England had the same rights of thought as Les Français moyen; or should I say also the little Brits in residence. [:D]

[/quote]

I don't think that  asking  someone to try to speak the language of the country in which they have settled  has anything to do with racism.

My feeling is that if the person making the report does not speak at least reaonable enough French to report the matter by phone their complaint may not be taken very seriously, a misunderstanding would be very easy.

It might help if we had a few more details like what makes the Op think that the suspect is working on the black ?

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="NickP"]

[/quote]
I don't think that  asking  someone to try to speak the language of the country in which they have settled  has anything to do with racism.

[/quote]

Nor do I; but the PC brigade who now tell us mere mortals in England how to live and what we should think; have a very different view of life to you and me. Just goes to show how much you are out of touch with life in England my friend.

[quote user="Val_2"]I think I answered your PM with these details. NO the URSSAF receptionist will not speak english and the number is in the pages jaune for your nearest large town/city under administrations (Union pour Le Recouvrement de Sécurite Sociale et Allocations Familiale). The local gendarmerie if you live in the country will operate under the umbrella of the main HQ in your nearest town. Again they will not usually speak in english as they get very irritated when people refuse to speak french.[/quote]

For your information these people are English and I have very good reasons for reporting them.I would be interested to learn what you mean by `see how the Maire reacts`. How do you know I havent bothered to learn the language? perhaps I dont feel confident that my level of French would be sufficient to get across what I wish to say. Judge not lest ye be judged.

I agree with you completely and thats why I asked if the person answering the phonecall is likely to be an English speaker. It seems to me that government departments are very likely to have people who can speak a major language such as English.As for providing more information, I am not at liberty to provide more details so please accept that I have good reason to report these people.

There very silly people everywhere and your neighbour seems to be just one more. Trust me, I do not have an arrogant "little Briton" attitude nor do shout loudly ( not often anyway) it`s just that my French isnt good enough to carry a long conversation with a French official.

Have you tried talking to the people concerned directly ?

If you were a French person living in the Uk would you expect the person answering the phone at the place you were reporting it, to speak French ?  Like Sweets I think writing, if you really feel you have to, is the answer.

Depends on how you know them/what your relationship is, but you ask if they know do X is illegal and how seriously the French take working on the black (esp non French doing it)

We've had people post here who were reported when they were quite innocent - its not very pleasant....

[quote user="face42"]If you mean the people working on the black what exactly do you suggest I say to them ?[/quote]

‘What exactly do you suggest I say to them?’

OMG!

Well, according to your post of 1307 today, they are English, presumably the same language as yours and presumably you are grown up enough to concoct a phrase of your own, or do you want someone to hold your hand, I think you do. 

Do what you must.

I tried this today only to be told they will not act information over the telephone and it must be in writing including my details! I wouldnt be at all happy about this. can you give me the phone number for the office/department you refer to who will allow me to remain anonymous? better still the number of La Roche sur Yon office.

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance Val_2

• 6 months later...
An interesting resurrection of this topic. My view has nothing to do with the morals but rather that this is a problem created by having a high labour cost base. It is well known that the higher the taxes the more the black market flourishes, and few , if any country, in the world has managed to address this problem through regulation and enforcement.

The only way for France to tackle this problem is to reduce the labour cost base and simplify the structure of enterprise and business.

Moreover, it is not just black market that is putting French artisans out of work. Why should I use a French artisan when I could get somebody quite legally from the UK, Poland or Spain for 1/2 the price. OK I have to factor in some additional risks and ensure they meet local standards, but that's my choice.

[quote user="face42"]I tried this today only to be told they will not act information over the telephone and it must be in writing including my details! I wouldnt be at all happy about this. can you give me the phone number for the office/department you refer to who will allow me to remain anonymous? better still the number of La Roche sur Yon office. Thanks in anticipation of your assistance Val_2[/quote]

I made a new year resolution that I would finally after 16 years living in france turn over a new leaf of moral rectitude and denounce non trivial cases of UK citizens not complying with the law. It is still early days in my campaign but it would seem that anonymous reports will not prosper. I think it is unlikely that anonymity will be acceptable at the time of visiting the police office,etc, but this does not necessarily mean that you will be cited to appear as a prosecution witness in the case of criminal proceedings.

what sort of person would inform against other Brits.....Cowards.

Most of the French that I have worked on my house want cash in hand do they inform on each other?   No they leave it to people like you

The french are cowards but some brits make me ashamed to adtimt that im british