Registering as a selfbuild

milkeybar kid

The way France deals with VAT on building is totally different to the UK approach. Unless the rules have changed drastically recently new builds are fully liable for VAT (about 20%), so if you sold your house within the first few (? 5 ?) years after completion you would have to charge VAT on the sale.

On the other hand, renovations of existing buildings are charged at the lower rate (about 5%).

Sorry if this is bad news to you, but you won't be able to avoid VAT on your building materials or on any work you contract out.

If I'm out of date on this I'd be pleased to be corrected.

Web blog!!! Blimey, it takes all my computer skills to manage to write these replies! We are just going to take pictures of the stages we are at building.

Thanks Albert for the info, we are having a meeting soon with the suppliers of the timber kit house so will check it out and if we hear any different I will say.

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]Web blog!!! Blimey, it takes all my computer skills to manage to write these replies! We are just going to take pictures of the stages we are at building. [/quote]

[:D]

Don't panic it's just a modern term for doing exactly what you were thinking, taking pics and writing a bit of a diary all on the web though, still similar to posting on here.

• 3 weeks later...
After a number of very amicable meetings in English with the company who are supplying the kit we have agreed to terms where they will build the shell of the kit house.

Originally we were going to build it ourselves but thank goodness for us the company in question had been let down on a contract so they were able to offer us a large discount if we had them to erect the exterior leaving it waterproof and security tight + insulation(the discount we were given was helped by those people pulling out of the their contract and losing their deposit as the company had workmen already assigned!)

We have been given a guarantee with penalty clauses should they take longer than 12 weeks from start to finish. The price is set with no coming back to say this was extra etc. Our electrician and plumber who work with this company when needed ,so that is one less worry. Which leaves us to see to walls, ceilings and floors. Yes, of course it is going to cost more but when we weighed up leaving the money to make little interest we were better off having a professional job done with the guarantee (should we ever sell, it will make it more attractive) .

And as we have had added confusion to our life with our pony having a foal unexpected it will mean we have more time to watch her grow!!! well thats my excuse anyway! The house arrives in 2 weeks and then its go go go!

We had a self-built house. You're right to have the frame erected by the company, after all it's the frame that bears all the weight of the roof etc. You'll be amazed how quickly it goes up! The electrician and plumber can then work inside as the outer skin is built. Do make sure your measurements are precise (placement of gaines, drains pipes etc) The interior decoration will take longer than you think, but it's relatively easy with no furniture and no flooring down to worry about drips! Do take more photos than you think necessary, otherwise you don't remember things, and it's a useful documentary of how things were done.

Apologies if you've done it before, you'll have no need of the advice

Good luck

FairyNuff

• 4 months later...
[quote user="milkeybar kid"]After a number of very amicable meetings in English with the company who are supplying the kit we have agreed to terms where they will build the shell of the kit house.

Originally we were going to build it ourselves but thank goodness for us the company in question had been let down on a contract so they were able to offer us a large discount if we had them to erect the exterior leaving it waterproof and security tight + insulation(the discount we were given was helped by those people pulling out of the their contract and losing their deposit as the company had workmen already assigned!)

We have been given a guarantee with penalty clauses should they take longer than 12 weeks from start to finish. The price is set with no coming back to say this was extra etc. Our electrician and plumber who work with this company when needed ,so that is one less worry. Which leaves us to see to walls, ceilings and floors. Yes, of course it is going to cost more but when we weighed up leaving the money to make little interest we were better off having a professional job done with the guarantee (should we ever sell, it will make it more attractive) .

And as we have had added confusion to our life with our pony having a foal unexpected it will mean we have more time to watch her grow!!! well thats my excuse anyway! The house arrives in 2 weeks and then its go go go![/quote]

Just wanted to scream from the new roof top!!! Fantastic! all went so smoothly it was scary as we kept thinking what's going to go wrong. We have been installed now for a few weeks, we are now going to knock down most of our old house and make the lower half into stables for the ponies and a music studio for hubby so he can re-live his youth in the recording studio. So, I just want to encourage anyone that's thinking of building ...go for it!

Our only problem was with a couple of newspapers and a well known brico magazine wanting to take pictures and the magazine wanted to do a story on the stages of building, we actually had to get the advocate to invoke a stop on all pics etc.