multirisque professionnelle I am just getting "fobbed off". Are Devis

written in English legal? I doubt it somehow? Is a "multirisque

assurance going to cover the work if it is only monthly paid, What if he

stops paying part way through? This is a large job 150m2 so I really

need it doing properly.

Any clarification of the above points would be

very gratefully received. AND a recommendation of a roofer would be

wonderful. Thank you.

You say 'are devis written in English legal' so I assume you are getting quotes from British builders... I'd be surprised if you found a French builder trying to operate without insurance, they know the rules. Suggest you get quotes from French firms, though they may be higher.

[quote user="madames2"]I have received

Devis which are poor in detail and when I ask about garantie décennale

or attestation de responsabilité civile or assurance

multirisque professionnelle I am just getting "fobbed off". Are Devis

written in English legal? I doubt it somehow? Is a "multirisque

assurance going to cover the work if it is only monthly paid, What if he

stops paying part way through? This is a large job 150m2 so I really

need it doing properly.
[/quote]

People with décenale insurance are usually only too happy to provide a copy - the bloody thing costs enough so it's nice when someone understands what it is / wants a copy. Check the valid dates on the certificate and if the work spans two insurance years, get copies of each years certificate and keep them with the devis and paid invoices.

If the devis is poor in detail, only written in English and copies of the insurance are not forthcoming I think you know the answer: find another roofer. Are you getting French roofers to quote too? It is a mistake to let language capability restrict you to approaching only British artisans... not all British artisans are incompetent or fraudsters and there are plenty of poor quality French artisans around but you simply restrict your choice if you let language limit you.

Thanks for your response. I have Devis in French and the last one was in English......................I intend using French artisans as the language is not an issue. I am now waiting for one French roofer to produce his insurances...................so fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...
i think for 150m2 of roof, i to would want a reputable builder with decenale.  You could look around for a "Couvrer" or "roofer" as sometimes artsians set themselves up in this one specilised area.  In any case, you will need the decenale "attestation" if ever you sell the property in less than ten years from the end of the work.  The notaire will ask for this, and to be honest if you cannot give it to him it may even come down to your own liability being engaged in the event of a problem with the work carried out.  Ask around neighbours and friends, try to find an artisan who has been working for donkey's years in the town and whos quote is neither too high nor too low....as much detail as possible on the quote..hope this helps.