Plumber facture. Is this excessive ?

beardey

Hello all. We have a maison secondarie in the Lot. Had boiler problems last time we were there. Ok for first 5 days and then wouldn't stay alight. It's a Viessmann oil boiler.

I thought it was the pump so purchased a new one but still had the same problem ( lesson learned )

Called the plombier who spent about an hour with us ' setting up ' the boiler and it worked fine. Asked if I could pay by cheque and he said no and mentioned the word gratuit and small piece of work and asked me to sign a form. I wondered if there was some sort of government scheme which would reimburse him but was surprised as we aren't resident.

Back in uk now and have received a facture for

Recherché de la panne

Depennage chauffage + reglage bruleur

160,50 euros incl tax.

This seems a lot of money. What do others think please ?

Thanks all

I would imagine the form was the VAT reduction form, to verify that your house is an older house, whereby you only pay about 7% instead of about 20%, I'm not certain these amounts are totally correct but they aren't far out. As for the amount, well how long is a piece of string. Depends how far he has to travel etc.  Under the circumstances;  you being in the UK and the fact that the boiler is now working OK, personally I would bite the bullet and pay the bill.  Just for research purposes ask a UK plumber, you might get a idea as to the answer to your question but remember that in France the social security charges are very different and much higher, so you must factor that in.

I can imagine from your comments that perhaps communications on the day were not very clear, and you claim that you heard the word "gratuit", but maybe that's what you wanted to hear. Plumbers don't work for free, generally.

Plumbers' rates are not governed by any imposed tariff, so the bottom line is that they can charge you what they like. You don't say when the plumber came or how quickly. Was it a weekend, or in the evening? Did he come far or was he local?

On top of the cost of the work (and you say "about an hour"...was it more or less?) there's his transport costs, which in general will be added to your bill, along, possibly, with some charge for the time it took him to get to you.

Lesson learned...it's expensive, but not a fortune. It's wise to ask for some details of price before asking the plumber to come. Once he's on site and doing the work, it's a bit late to wonder if he's ripping you off, unfortunately.

Thanks everyone. I have now had the chance to speak with my husband who informs that yes he thinks the form was for 7% vat and that he also thinks that the bill was what he would expect given social charges etc.

sorry for wasting your time.

Bon weekend

[quote user="beardey"]Thanks everyone. I have now had the chance to speak with my husband who informs that yes he thinks the form was for 7% vat and that he also thinks that the bill was what he would expect given social charges etc. sorry for wasting your time. Bon weekend[/quote]

Genuine questions are never a waste of time, thats what forums are for. Enjoy your holiday home. [B]

[quote user="napoleon"][quote user="nomoss"]

That's really strange, I thought the government scheme to provide free plumbing repairs for British holiday home owners would have covered it.

[/quote] Please explain. I would love to have free anything![/quote]

I'm not a holiday home owner, so I don't know the details, but somebody on a forum said you can get it.

I think he said you have to ask at the marie.

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="napoleon"][quote user="nomoss"]

That's really strange, I thought the government scheme to provide free plumbing repairs for British holiday home owners would have covered it.

[/quote] Please explain. I would love to have free anything![/quote]

I'm not a holiday home owner, so I don't know the details, but somebody on a forum said you can get it.

I think he said you have to ask at the marie.

[/quote]Well if someone said it on a forum it must be true[6]

• 1 year later...
I'm too stupid to understand this.

[url=http://www.coquez2.com/category-housse-et-coque-sony-xperia-z2-4.html]étui cuir Sony Xperia Z2[/url] [url=http://www.coquez2.com]coque Xperia Z2[/url]

Beardey, if I were you I would make a note of the plumbers telephone number - he seems honest. Some plumbers would have made a big job of this including the need for expensive new parts that they would buy at a discount and charge you through the nose for them.

As has been said, there is his time and costs to travel to and from you.