pool security : 1st of May deadline

Chauffour

in theory from Saturday 1st of May we, gite owners, should all have installed a fence, an alarm or a cover....
We still haven't decided... we know an alarm is not good because of the size of the pool, i would be happy with the cheapest of the mesh fences, but apparently they have not been approved by Afnor...

what are the other gite's owners doing? it would be interesting if we could all write it in here, so we can get an idea of the situation...

Massimo

Massimo

We've ordered a pool alarm (waiting to see if we need to order a second because of 11x5 sized pool) - but pool company have not received deliveries yet from manufacturer (was promised for last week in April).

Also installing (non AFNOR) garden fence around the pool area, to keep out stray dogs, deter (if not keep out) wayward kiddies, and give everyone more privacy. Still waiting for delivery/installation date during May.

So am just hoping that no under-5 drowns in the pool before the pool alarm gets delivered ! We don't accept children in the gite, so that reduces the chances a bit !

But if one does find way in and manages to drown, fingers crossed that non-availability of AFNOR approved alarms by the deadline will prove to be some defence ... no, didn't really think it would !!

Would be interested to hear what others are doing !

Best wishes

Jean-Paul

Hi

Thought it may interest others to know that we (I mean Hubby!) are installing a wall around our pool with an AFNOR approved gate. The wall is the regulation height and, of course has no hand or foothold. There will be no gap between the wall and the gate so no chance of a hand or foothold there either. Hubby is building the wall with breeze blocks and will be rendered with smooth cement.

Main reason for this decision was the extortionate cost of the AFNOR approved fencing, which was totally unafordable for us!

At first I wasn't keen on the idea, thinking that it would not look pleasant. However, seeing the wall being built, I now think it will be an asset as it is going to be a real suntrap and not too high to spoil the views. Also, there is adequate space for pool loungers inside the wall.

We also intend fixing a sign next to the gate saying that the gate must be kept closed at all times.

Hope this may be of some help.
Regards
Anna

• 2 weeks later...
LAST EDITED ON 09-May-04 AT 08:01 AM (BST)

Massimo and others - I haven't posted for a long time, but I have been following site discussion avidly. it feels as tho' husband and I have been discussing pool security every day for months - and going round in circles as no easy answer and no solution that we think viable and helpful - especially as our pool was already fenced and had a combination lock on gate which cutomers always used.
We did not like any of the fencing we saw which claimed to be afnor approved -flimsy and ugly in our opinion - but mostly we were against an approved gate as with 3 lots of gite cutomers slamming the gate many times a day we figure the automatic locking mechanism will soon be out of line and break, and safer pools at least did not promise to come and fix it immediately.
We have one big main pool which overflows into a toddler pool and has steps either side so v awkward to fence in any event.
We did not like thought of 2 aquasensors for main pool as customers like to sit in pool at shallow end and we figure that the deep end sensor will reset itself if people are sitting/swimming just gently in shallow area.
In the end, and out of deperation (our 1st gite guests of the year arrived yeaterday) - we had a pool security 'expert'round and we have decided to take his advice - we are having him to fit an aquasensor for the toddler pool, and for the main pool a system of infra red rays on a circuit between 4 posts - which sound an alarm as toddler passes thro the rays - we are assured that Afnor approved the latter in Jan and the web site of the company producing it says it is approved. Whole thing is costing 5000 euros which we regards as a complete waste / tax on gite owners as our pool was already secure. We are worried the infra red rays will go off with animals in the middle of the night - but in the end we just had to order something - delivery and installation is not till June/July but we will get a cert of conformity from the fitter and he will revisit each year to service and issue a yearly cert (no doubt for a fee). Am interested in what everyone else decides - Julie