Best (& Cheapish) Pool Testers & Pumps

Hi all - couple of things if I may.

We have a 4.8 mtr above ground pool. The pump that came with it is fairly useless and only seems to take in water from an area close to the intake hole in the pool. Its the cartridge type. At the moment with flies and so on, we are trying hard to keep the pool clean but the filters give up after a week or so and the pump becomes even less efficient as each day goes by. The water level is a wee bit low perhaps but not that low I think.

I have been considering getting rid of it and buying a small sand filtration type pump. Are these expensive and are they hard to come across. I live 65km south of Poitiers.

Also, up until recently, I have managed the water and chemicals quite well. Then a couple of days ago, having checked using my test strip system, it started to go a milky cloudy colour. At the moment, the PH is about 7.8 - the Free Chl is at approx 2.0 and the Total Alk seems to be reading between 120 & 150. I'm confused about this and wonder is the test strips part of the overall problem.

Is there a more effective test system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers folks

I had a similar problem last year, those intex type all in one filter/pumps are next to useless on anything bigger than a paddling pool + if more than 1 or 2 people use the pool or if the weather gets hot it just doesn't keep up..

I ended up buying a sand filter / pump system from a guy in germany via ebay, brilliant bit of kit and i've not had a problem since, the filter just needs backwashing from time to time (a 3 minute job without even getting wet or covered in smelly stuff from a cartridge)

if you use the pool more than for the odd dip I would strongly recommend the small sand filter route !

Cheers Paul

You are suggesting what I had thought myself and, price dependant, would do straight away. I knew the TOY pump wasnt up to much. I'll look around here (dept 86) and see what I can locate.

Andrew - did you get my response to your post last night. If not I'll snd again.

The Intex filter/pump we use (208R) works extremely well. Provided you keep the cartridge clean, it shifts even the most profound clag.

We fill from a well too, and the detritus takes only a day or two to be filtered out. And the cartridges are dirt cheap.

Someones doing something wrong?

As far as testing is concerned, the DPD/Phenolic tablets cost peanuts. 20 tablets cost Eur 1.50

Cheers everyone - thanks for all your input and advice.

I have ceased the use of anti algae treatment and will concentrate on using the chlorine treatment.

As for the pump, I will watch to see how the pool behaves for the next few weeks and see. Then it might be a wee visit to EBay.

Thanks once again folks.

Paul