To fill or not to fill?

JJ

We live in the Charente Maritime, we have one very busy gite and a 10 x 5 pool.

We have an Aqua Sensor immersion alarm.

So, we have a major dilemma on our hands, if we continue to top up the pool, then we face fines as there is currently a ban on this activity in our dept.

However, we also have an immersion alarm which must have at least 15 cm of water over the sensor to be in working order.

So, if the pool level drops below a safe operating level for the alarm, the alarm is in effect inoperative according to the manufacturers. The penalty for this, is potentially 45 k euros as I am sure you all know.

So do we close down the pool, and inform our guests that our terms and conditions allow for this, or do we fill our pool?

Any advice willbe gratefully recieved.

Hearsay only, but I have heard of someone who got busted for topping up their pool. Set against that, I have seen people erecting those huge blow up pools (and presumably filling them) within the last two weeks. There must be an equivalent amount of water in those things to what it takes to top up a pool.

No comment to make about the morals of it, I accept it is a difficult situation and would suggest only you can make the choice as to what to do. As a start, I would insert a 'no jumping in' rule into the terms of pool use, for now anyway.

I have just looked on one of the government web sites which details the current situation in all the different departments.  The site is: www.ecologie.gouv.fr  then go to the section "Arrètés prefectoraux" and then go to dept 17.  This clearly states that only private pools must not be filled (interdiction de remplissage des piscines privés) - as you are running a business then as I understand it your pool is not considered to be private.  Certainly when the fencing regulations were first brought in gite pools were not regarded as private!

Hope this helps

Hi Jim and Gail,

An interesting dilemma, how about a bit of lateral thinking.

Instead of trying to raise the water level to the alarm why not temporarily lower the alarm to the water level.

I don't think it would take an engineering degree to rig up an adjustable platform (maybe using a readily available shelving system) which will screw into the original alarm holes and allow the alarm sensor to be submerged.

Steve 66 (currently no water restrictions)