Abri v volet roulant

Jeanneclaire

We are having a salt water pool built in the New Year and are currently debating whether to have a volet roulant cover (the automatic sort that floats across the pool and locks) or a low telescopic abri. We anticipate that there will probably not be much difference in cost but what else should we consider?

Hi, we had our very old pool renewed this Spring with a saltwater pool covered by an abri bas. [:D] I love our abri - I was still swimming until the second week of November when I (sadly) decided to close the pool until 1st March(ish).  The abri has meant that we can extend our swimming season to 9 months of the year [ip] instead of the previous 3.5-4 months (mid-May to mid-September max) which is ridiculously short for such a high value item. It is lovely to swim under - not at all claustrophobic (which I am), and to be sheltered from cool air/winds outside of the high season is so much nicer to swim in. We also have a pompe-a-chaleur for the times of the year when the sun is just not hot enough to keep the water at a comfortable temperature even with the abri. It also has the benefit of keeping out leaves and debri - though the odd little lizard still manages to find its way in.  One downside - if you want to jump/dive in then you do have to lift/slide (depending on the model) part of the abri.

Jeanneclair

You post is an interesting one as you want to decide between two options for security but you have give very little information about what motivates your choice. It comes down to what you prefer. Both of the options work equally well, they have their own idiosyncrasies but they are both 'high end' pool additions and provide many benefits.

Not the least of which is the exclusion of debris and airborne dust, reduction in water loss through evaporation, maintenance of desirable water temperature, as well as compliant security.

There is really only one difference I can see is that of the visual appeal, such that if the installation of an abri would obscure a nice view past your pool then choose a cover. Other wise an abri is an excellent albeit more expensive option.

Do not forget that along with the benefits these provide come the added work load of cleaning to keep the environment sanitary as there is not many devices available to help you with this- just elbow grease.

Also it is important to choose your water sanitisation system carefully. I would recommend that a higher chlorine level be maintained to cope with higher water temperature and less ventilation- perhaps 2.5 ppm. I read that you are contemplating a salt/chlorination system, I can only draw your attention to another post where I was am trying to flag the possibility that these systems will be impossible to manage in the future due to the introduction of new environmental laws. Its worthy of some careful planning as you have the opportunity that others who already own a salt system don't have to avoid the difficulties which might arrise.

Andrew