ref solar heating.

Pun

Hi folks,

we've just had our pool put in and as a later project are now thinking of heating,

Question, has anyone any info on supply people who would also install, and running cost, and will solar heating work all year round , we're in the limousin and do have a winter,ie below freezing for a short while.

and any further info ref solar much needed.

many thanks.

Hello Pun, not able to answer your question, but I have been after solar water heating. I have looked all over to try and find a French company, preferably in the Dordogne who supplies and installs the system. There have been many threads on this forum (search under solar) but I cannot find anyone who has had a system fitted, with evacuated tube collectors, and is willing to pass on the name of the installer.

I don't want to employ anyone who is not experienced and not a legal registered French business. I have trawled the web for ages, with my limited French, but don't seem to get anywhere.

try http://homepage.ntlworld.com/solarmatt/   i have their system and it works very well. you need to be aware that any pool heating is a waste of time unless you use a cover on the pool over night or you WILL lose all that free heat.

the above system comes from UK, they deliver to france and the owner is very helpfull. Also if heating your pool you do not want it to get too hot, ie pools with liners shouldn't get above 28C. Also bacterea like warm pools so you need to keep your Ph etc levels spot on. Poolguy can advise on this.

Hi Pun. We are near La Souterraine,and one of the diy shops was selling a big black plastic pool heating system for around the 150€ mark. It connected to your filter pump,and resembled a big elecric blanket,with water tubes instead of wires.Get the idea? It was to be put on a roof,south facing would be best,and heated by sunlight,but in a non technical way.(great for me!!). I figured that it was a lot to pay out on a gamble,and went for a simple bubble wrap blue cover,which definately helps a lot,but would love to know if it is any good. Fancy being a guinea pig,or has anyone else tried it?

Hi  Mickey,

Many thanks for your help on this one,

The points you made ref covering the pool at night are a good idea, This is our first pool and I know nothing ref the running of a pool so as Im sure you'll understand even the basics come  as a new thing for me ,So once again thanks.

Hi Pogo,

We have the same idea in mind ref solar, As you can see Mickey gave some very good tips ref not wasting the heat, and I did write to a place in mid wales (u,k.) alterative technology, ref solar heating so when I find the supply people for this area I'll pass all info on to you, but it might take a while,,

so keep on swimming only on hot days,

regards Pun.

Hi Bob,

If I hear of anyone near you in my efforts to sort out this solar heating I'll pass all info on to you, if not you can come to us and have a warm swim (if we manage to get a heat system sorted that is) many thanks for your reply.

regards Pun.

Solar heating is available and it is a very effective option if it is

designed and installed correctly. Both low tech (traditional) and high

tech systems are an excellent addition to a pool as they allow for

maximal untilization of the facility and investment after the 90 days

of summer.

Mickey is correct that currently, depending on the liner the guarantee

is void if the water temperature reaches in some cases over 25 degrees,

and in others it is over 28 degrees.The reason is denaturing of the PVC

as this is a thermosetting plastic and it will start to soften and

deform over time. Also the bacterial count will multiply much more

vigerously over 20 degrees. Hence it is absolutly imperative that your

total alkilinity is stable (once a month to check 80-130 ppm), your pH

is stable constantly (7.2- 7.5) and that your chlor is adequate (in

this case about 2-2.5 ppm, in a cooler pool you can drop this to 1.5

ppm)

Evacuated tube technology is I believe the future for many pools - mine

included. As it offers you the possiblity to install a smaller more

aesthetic solar panel, which will heat the water to much higher

temperatures. So it can heat the domestic hot water (through the heat

exchanger), then deploy heat through the space heating system, and

lastly deploy into the pool. All free of running costs.

In addition, if you are registered for tax and installing on principle

residence then the installion is up to 50% rebateable on your tax

liability so long as your home passes the inspection and deemed

suitable and that the unit has been installed by a registered installer.

If you want more about this option then contact me for details, but its

not cheap in the first instance... paybacks are some where around 8-15

years, depending on the project. However, if you have the money to

invest and want the independence from the spiraling prices of the

energy companies and currently rennovating, I would suggest that its a

'must have'.

I hope that this has been helpful, but as always if you need specific or more detailed help then contact me via PM/email.

Andrew